Selling Bobcat and Coyote Pelts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austin.brown

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is my first year I am gonna try predator hunting as much as I can. I know the market for coyote pelts is really low, but if what I have herd is true if I get a bobcat it would be worth trying to sell the hide. I dont know where or how to sell those things; I also do not know what condition to sell them in. Do they have to be tanned? If so how much does that usually run? So, pretty much info out there on selling pelts would be great help.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't save anything but bobcats, and only freeze them whole. You can get more money whole from what I understand, but I'm subject to being corrected if thats not true.
The trapping section of: wildlifedepartment.com has a list of current fur buyers.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think the website is Kanoklafur.com, this buyer is out of southern KS. He lists predicted prices, buying info and sells various trapping supplies. He usually wont pay hardly anything for cats until after Christmas/January when their good hair is set in.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The OFBA has two auctions this year at okmolgee and Chandler. You can get all the details on the auction and a list of fur buyers at oktrapper.com. If you do get a bobcat, do not skin it. Like Dennis said, the buyers prefer them whole and frozen. Hope this helps you out.

Scott

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hate to tell you the bad news... prices at the last auction didn't even cover costs of trapping. this is not even counting your time to skin....

the buyers were giving pointers on exactly how to skin cats for max price. which brought less than 25% of prices a few short years ago. lots of trappers are joining co-ops, which offer pelts directly to overseas buyers. they are returning prices 2-3x+ higher than buyers at auctions.

you cannot sell green pelts to anyone but a licensed buyer. tanned hides have no such restrictions.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What auction are you referring to? There hasn't been one in Oklahoma this year that I know of. I would like to hear more about the co op though, and how to get in.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
from what i have heard and read last year about yote furs is once you shoot the yote, your already in the hole, cause the bullet cost more....LOL. i was told by a local fur guy to trap the cats, and feeze as a whole (like dennis said) that way the buyer can skin it how he wants and you can get more.
from my begginer stance the fur market is hard to time (i don't have a lot of freezer space) for good prices...around winter time is good because the furs are thick, but is it worth the the entire hunt time, skinning, driving to BFE for a fur trade, and hope you get a good deal.....for me no. thats just my .02 i would rather keep the furs to myself for projects and go from there.....

good luck! hit up okhunter (scott) he can give you some pointers and that might help stack you up bigger "pelt pile" (say that 5x's fast).

Latest posts

Top Bottom