Smith quit making k frame 357's for a reason, guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They just don't hold up to more than a very few thouand rds of full charge mag ammo. they send a couple of M19's to HP White labs, and neither one made it to 2000 rds without significant damage to the forcing cone or the frame in that area. Did you know that the hammers and triggers of M66' are not stainless steel, other than a very few early models? those parts are hardchomed, because the stainless ones were too soft, and would not stay cocked after a bit of wear. also, the early M66's, if fired 6 rds swiftly, would lock up and not let you open the cylinder. They had to swap out the little "gas ring" at the front of the cylinder, for a hard chromed version. the SS one would "swell" with the heat of such firing.

I guess this would explain why they now make J frame revolvers in 357 mag. :D

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even the greatest guns have some bad features. But it remains defensive carry gun. Good lethality+ease of use+easy to carry.

We must be mindful to use the right tool for the job. Things that get abused might not work as intended. The Model 28 was around if you were trying to burn an 8lb jug of H110.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
for hunting? maybe. If you TIME your repeat hits with mags, you'll be upset at how much they slow you down. Most shots in combat miss the man entirely, due to blasts, flashes (in bad light) target movement, your already being hurt, ducking incoming fire, dodging blows, etc. 12 ga slugs and 00 buck blasts to the chest have failed to stop men, so the 357 can and does fail, too (fairly often, with 158 gr jhp's, cause they don't expand from 4" barrels, worth a hoot) A top hand gets repeat hits in .35 second with a k frame 357, on the chest at 5 yds, and in .18 second with a lw commander .45,or with most 9mm's. In a gunfight, Being twice as slow as you need be is not a good idea.

Were you with SEAL Team 6 or Quail Springs 1? I have enjoyed about as much of this BS as I can stand. I gotta go sharpen my throwing stars before I go on duty at "Toys are Us" now anyway.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
why not just use airsoft, then, and save the trip to the range? See, whether guys admit it or not, or even realize it or not, the enjoyment of shooting, especially powerful handguns, comes from either the idea of hunting, or of combat. Most lack the insight to realize much of anything about their emotions, that's all.

Now the Ninja-Poser is a psychologist as well as an all-around weapons expert.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
just having a little fun turbo. mainly because the average passer by to this site doesn't need to think this is the norm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom