Can a convicted former felon own/possess a muzzleloader?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can a felon own a muzzleloader?

• Yes, it's settled law in Oklahoma; they can, including smokeless MLs requiring NICS

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Yes, settled law, but not ones requiring NICS (smokeless)

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Unclear/ gray area / needs to be clarified by the AG or legislature

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • No they cannot

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • I have no idea.

Votes: 34 36.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

boomstick

Marksman
Reaction score
Common sense is not so common. Common sense says a rifle is a firearm. A black powder "Rifle" is a rifle. And a rifle is a firearm. And a felon cant posses a firearm. Same goes for black powder pistols. Dont commit felonies and you dont have to worry about it.

Reaction score
Aren't WE high and mighty from our pedestal? Don't look now but there's about 20,000 things which are federal crimes that I'll bet you don't know about and don't think would be illegal. Not to mention overzealous prosecutors who pick on the dopeheads and other non-violents while turning the violents free.

And common sense has zero to do with it. The question is a very specific positive one about the state of what the law IS. And the LAW often doesn't make a lick of sense.

Common sense says a rifle is a firearm. A black powder "Rifle" is a rifle. And a rifle is a firearm. And a felon cant posses a firearm. Same goes for black powder pistols.

What's your legal basis for concluding that? Please provide cites, since you are so sure.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over 2 months later and this ambiguous poll of anonymous Internet users has provided no useful legal advice whatsoever.

Shocked! Shocked I am!

Give it another few months and if the poll numbers break 67% in a particular direction, you will have your answer.

:D

:bolt:

Reaction score
Hee hee; good point. :) But I thought I'd throw it out there to see what people's *perceptions* are.

Still, we've learned that there's around a 98% chance that the correct answer is #3 - that is, that there IS no answer until the AG or courts clarify it. I've done a little more looking around, and there appears to be nothing solid one way or the other.

boomstick

Marksman
Reaction score
Ok, are we worried about the websters dictionary of what a firearm is? Ar we worried about the federal definition of what a firearm is as is relates to back ground checks when purchasing? Or are we Oklahomans who should be worried about what Oklahoma law says and what oklahoma LEOS can do to felons who have muzzleloaders. I think C is the right choice. Oklahoma law defines a rifle and shotgun as somthing that can shoot deadly projectiles via a gas or propelant. That is what a black poweder "rifle" does. And of course common sense says a "Rifle" is a "Firearm".

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, you guys spent time on this? If the the gun is strictly black powder, then yes you can own it. If it can be converted to centerfire, then no. T/C Omega; otay. T/C Encore; no way.

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A convicted felon, loses some of their rights for good reason, they are not allowed the right to bear arms, as do law abiding citizens, we wany guns away from bad guys dont we!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom