‘Stand your ground’ law protects shooter in deadly fight over parking space: sheriff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The YT video said the shooter was 47 years old. That’s not “an old guy” but a middle-aged man who apparently was yelling at the woman to move her car. Her bf could have done a lot better than just to walk up and shove the guy to the ground, and the shooter could have done a lot better than to escalate the situation by shooting the bf. Actually, the shooter could have minded his own business, or let the store employees know if he really was offended by the woman parking in an handicap spot. Is the shooter handicapped and he wanted the spot for his vehicle?

Wrong all around.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Egos and guns just don't mix. Better to take the insult to your pride and walk away without a death on your conscience (and possible legal consequences).

And that's not hypothetical. I know of a member here doing five years for being too bull-headed to let some punk kids get away with flipping him off. Fortunately, nobody died, or else it would have been a whole lot longer.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked like the younger guy pushed the other guy down and that would have been the end of it since the younger stopped an d drew back somewhat. The guy on the ground killed someone and got away with the crime as far as I'm concerned. You can push me down and that's it, I can take the humiliation if there is any coming but there is no reason for me to shoot someone simply because he pushed me to the ground. It happens all the time on playgrounds.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As others have pointed out, lots of wrong/stoopid to go around.

Young guy shouldn't have walked up and immediately laid hands on "old guy" (he's younger than me, so...).
Old guy didn't need to pull trigger at that moment. Probably didn't need to pull the gun.

But the big booboo IMHO is the lesson I figured out long, long ago when I started carrying: When you are carrying, you NO LONGER have the luxury to get involved in ridiculous parking lot/road rage disputes. There was no reason to start screaming at the woman. Get a hobby, for God's sake, pretend it didn't happen, go home, have a beer and grumble about "kids these days" or whatever.

Carrying is about minding your own business until someone else makes that impossible.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting how some apparently think they know Florida law better than the sheriff?? You can bet the sheriff had watched the full video and knew what the witnesses said BEFORE he made a public statement that he believed, under Florida law, that this was a legal shooting. I think it will be very difficult, if not impossible, for a prosecutor to get a conviction after the sheriff has publicly stated that he believed the shooting was legal....

Full video:

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=sqPbL_1532105651

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's called disparity of force. Age doesn't matter.
If your a small waif and some big roided out 200 + pounder was aggressive to you at the point of shoving you down violently, you could have been killed by your head hitting the ground, curb, etc.
Although there was not a punch thrown for general info, there have been many people killed with one punch, either by the blow or the person being killed or seriously hurt.
What if that were a handicapped grandma? Would you be so quick to judge?
If that were me, (which it wouldn't be because I don't get into those type of situations over a parking spot) and I was planted on my butt, not injured, I would have certainly had my hand on the gun ready to draw, but I don't think I would have actually shot the guy unless he was coming to do whatever he would have done to someone he had violently just planted on the ground like a kick to the head or whatever. It appears he took a step back when seeing the gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom