‘Stand your ground’ law protects shooter in deadly fight over parking space: sheriff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No parking space is worth someone's life. If "old guy" had minded his own business none of this would have happened. Now he has to live with the knowledge he killed someone over a ******* parking place.

I have been in two situations where I felt threatened enough to pull my gun. Brandishing issues aside, my finger never touched the trigger, though guy no. 1 was 1 more step away from buying the farm. In both instances I truly was in fear of great bodily harm or death. I thank God every day I didn't have to pull the trigger and the sight of my firearm was enough to de-escalate the situation.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's called disparity of force. Age doesn't matter.
If your a small waif and some big roided out 200 + pounder was aggressive to you at the point of shoving you down violently, you could have been killed by your head hitting the ground, curb, etc.
Although there was not a punch thrown for general info, there have been many people killed with one punch, either by the blow or the person being killed or seriously hurt.

Absolutely agree.
The young guy could have wound up and kicked the older guy hard in the ribs in a second or two. Kick in the ribs, punctured lung, good chance you're seriously wounded or dying. A kick to the head, same results.

With the luxury of the video, I don't think I would have drawn, but we don't know what kind of verbal threats were being thrown around and can't really tell the state of mind of any of the players.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It it appears after the man was on the ground, the threat was over. However, I believe if you're gonna put your hands on someone, you need to be willing to take their life or give up yours. I hope people start realizing that anyone may be armed. Did the guy have good reason to be confronting the gal in the car? IDK. He looked like he wasn't in her "personal space". Ol Badboy their damn sure didn't even break stride to ask the man what was going on. He just pulled his shorts up and jumped bad. Cost him his life.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"The young father then staggered back into the store and collapsed in front of the couple’s 5-year-old son, who is named after McGlockton, Jacobs told the Tampa Bay Times. He was pronounced dead a short time later."

This is what bothers me the most.

Like others have said, stupidity all around.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good video for ccl class. Say you just pulled up in car and saw man shoot other man, what do you do? Draw your weapon and THINK you are protecting lady and man shot??? You better know damn sure situation before getting involved.
Doug Friesen used to tell a story along those lines when he was teaching the SDA class. Somebody at a gas station--at night--saw four unkempt-looking black men produce firearms and accost several well-dressed white men in an apparent robbery. Concerned citizen intervened in defense of the guys about to get rolled.

Only problem is that the black guys were undercover police, conducting a arrest pursuant to a warrant.

There's a reason the statute gives you a presumption of good faith when defending your family that it doesn't extend to the defense of third parties.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good video for ccl class. Say you just pulled up in car and saw man shoot other man, what do you do? Draw your weapon and THINK you are protecting lady and man shot??? You better know damn sure situation before getting involved.
There are dozens of scenarios that could result in a bad shoot thinking it was a good one.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sad situation all around, bad decision-making skills on display by all parties, IMO. The video does leave me wondering about what caliber was used since it appears the individual was shot pretty much COM yet is able to stumble into the store before expiring.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to know if there were any verbal threats from the pusher. Looks like the pusher was putting something in his pants pocket or fishing for something as he approached the shooter. It also looked like the shooter was having trouble getting back up, but the video was cut off before he actually did get up. Too many unanswered questions.

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom