“Lake ready” boat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've looked at a couple of John boat's and will pick up one in the next year to use when I retire in 2021. The worse it looks the better as long as it don't leak. Just a small motor will do fine. I found one a week ago this guy had for sale in his driveway. No motor but she didn't look like she leaked. My Brother in-law told me he knew the guy and the wheel hubs would all new stuff and he'd been trying to sell it for about 3 years.
Think I'll pass but lots of those come up for sale in the winter so that may be when I jump in. Swore I'd never own another boat, but like I told my wife, "It's a John boat and it's really about a half step from floating around on a log and fishing". All kidding aside, she retired this year and wants (she thinks) to go fishing with me. I think she may change her mind when it's 100 outside and the reflection off the water will turn her pale skin rather Pink.......

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haven’t been without a boat since the late 70’s. Became pretty adept at working on the 2 stroke motors. Pretty simple actually.
Some boat repair companies will take one to the cleaners for a simple fix.
Latest is a 185 tracker with two consoles. Incredibly hard to start. Just about run the battery down to get it to start.
Guy couldn’t sell it so I got it for a good deal.
He had been told the compression was down and a $2000.00 rebuild was in order.
Long story short, the issue was a gasket in the fuel pump. Those fuel pumps work on vacuum and a series of diaphragms very similar to a bigger Koehler engine in a ZTR.
It just wasn’t getting fuel. Starts and runs like a champ now.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fished out of Jon boats for a year. I didn't like it. Needed something small enough to carry to the water, but big enough to float two fatties. The 12 and 10 foot boats were just too unstable for me to stand and fish out of. Thought about buying a 14x48 or 56, but then I'd be back to limited lakes. My favorite honeyholes don't have ramps, it's a load it yourself thing. Rented a few kayaks, enjoyed the nimble and ease of em, but didn't like the fishing. Ended up with one of those 2-man bass boats from Academy. Scored it on clearance for $350 a few years ago. It's a pontoon so it's shockingly stable. Light enough to hoist from the truck to the bank. Add a battery and motor, good to go. I'd recommend to any other small water angler, though the guys on that forum go full send-it in big waters. Okeechobee, St. Lawrence, Mississippi, Gulf Coast. I wouldn't, but they swear it's solid enough for it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fished out of Jon boats for a year. I didn't like it. Needed something small enough to carry to the water, but big enough to float two fatties. The 12 and 10 foot boats were just too unstable for me to stand and fish out of. Thought about buying a 14x48 or 56, but then I'd be back to limited lakes. My favorite honeyholes don't have ramps, it's a load it yourself thing. Rented a few kayaks, enjoyed the nimble and ease of em, but didn't like the fishing. Ended up with one of those 2-man bass boats from Academy. Scored it on clearance for $350 a few years ago. It's a pontoon so it's shockingly stable. Light enough to hoist from the truck to the bank. Add a battery and motor, good to go. I'd recommend to any other small water angler, though the guys on that forum go full send-it in big waters. Okeechobee, St. Lawrence, Mississippi, Gulf Coast. I wouldn't, but they swear it's solid enough for it.

Had a two man BB once powered by an antique 4hp Wizard engine. Wife and I motored all over Beaver creek on Kaw with it. Very stable.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haven’t been without a boat since the late 70’s. Became pretty adept at working on the 2 stroke motors. Pretty simple actually.
Latest is a 185 tracker with two consoles. Incredibly hard to start. Just about run the battery down to get it to start.
Long story short, the issue was a gasket in the fuel pump. Those fuel pumps work on vacuum and a series of diaphragms very similar to a bigger Koehler engine in a ZTR.
I just hate the Koehler motors. When Craftsman started putting them in their lawn tractors, they really screwed up. The boat I get will have a limit on HP and I don't plan on chasing fish.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What motor do you have on it?

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a two man BB once powered by an antique 4hp Wizard engine. Wife and I motored all over Beaver creek on Kaw with it. Very stable.
That's what I'll probably end up with. I saw a flat bottom (new) at a reasonable price with seats included with carry handles rated for 5hp max. That's good for me. If I can keep the weigh down I might be able to fit it in the bed of my truck rather than using a trailer. Never done that before, but I've seen it done.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just hate the Koehler motors. When Craftsman started putting them in their lawn tractors, they really screwed up. The boat I get will have a limit on HP and I don't plan on chasing fish.
I have good luck with Kohler pro version motors, but that is just me I guess.
I found out a long time ago that flying around a lake looking for the fish is a waste of time and money. One needs to learn the fish your targeting and fish the water your in. Learn their habits and then go looking for their habitat.
Every fish has a favorite habitat during different times of the year.
Crappie for example. I do the best in January and February. They are schooled up tight around structure and timber around 25-30 feet deep. Takes electronics to find them but when you do, its fill the livewell time.
Same fish will be in a foot of water in April and May during the spawn. Suspended in open water pre and post spawn.
Catfish the same for the most part, but they have feeding patterns for each specie.
Stripers, hybrids, and sand bass follow patterns of running into the creeks in the spring to spawn when the water gets a certain temperature. After spawn they follow the shad around the lake to feed.
Fish are sensitive to food, oxygen content in the water, water temperature and structure in their lives.
Put all that together and you have the makings for a fish fry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom