$1,000 budget Rifle/With glass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to get into a budget long distance rifle I put a budget of $1,000 to include glass. Any suggestions? It has been many years since I have shot long distance and havent had a scope in many years (late 90's).

I been thinking of a Steyr pro hunter, or a Savage 10 fcp. Glass undetermined.

Millerdog

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sportsmans Outdoor superstore currently has the savage 10 fcp-sr for $549.99 and it has a $100 rebate from savage on top of that. That's gives you a little more for optics. Just find your local ffl that don't charge much for your 4473 to ship it to.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
do this.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/sa...agnum-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=4856106

The cheap/inexpensive glass today is far superior to what was available in the 90's.
I got this last year.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/sa...ester-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=1320220

very happy with it. shoots better than my old 10fp in .308 and this newer accutrigger is much better than the older accu trigger.
Of course the 18" barrel has less whip than my old guns 24" so accuracy goes to the 18".
Both Sub moa to 500 ..that is as far as I have shot.
What is sad is my savage axis .223 with 55 v-max will out shoot both of them even at 500 yards.

Makes me want to try one of their 6.5 creedmoor rifles.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My savages did not shoot well with store ammo. 1.25" was the normal good day here in our state.
Now reloading is much different ball game.
If i did not reload I may try the Ruger that MrShooter spoke of..
I still want to try that round.
Lapua cases do not have enough volume in the .308 to reach the upper accuracy node so winchester cases are used in my reloading for upper accuracy nodes.
Things to think about.
I assume that is new or out the door price on that Savage FCP. as cabellas has them for 549.88

Latest posts

Top Bottom