$1,000 budget Rifle/With glass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get on a Savage with bipod/rear bag while looking at 19 hogs at 263 yards in the wheat pasture. You’ll be cussing it while you’re chambering your second round to engage the second pig.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That would suck!
I take turns with my 30-06 and .308 and sometimes .243 the -06 and .243 are mossberg bolt rifles again sub MOA to 500.
I had the 30-06 and shot a buck . bang flop 300+ yards.
I was laying prone in the sand.
I get up to my feet and see a doe running at me she is about 1/2 way I chamber another round and... CLICK!...

CRAP!!! I short stroked it like the short action .308 or .243.
I chamber another one and she bolts to the left..I call to my brain to chuck like a squirrel as I am a bit hidden.
But chicken sounds come out of my mouth... she stops 36 paces from me and turns and looks my direction.. Bang flop!

Yep you better feel the bolts out and see if they work well in your hand.
My 10FP was just fine for me.
We recently did a rapid 3 water jugs on left 3 on right buddy had his AR15 and I had my savage 10 PT-SR in .308 bolt action.

I cleared mine first..he needs more practice.
I think he got amazed at the impact my .308 had on the jugs as I hit the first one it exploded and slid the other ones over.. his .223 did not slide the jugs, just exploded them.
He stalled and looked for a second. at the water falls. :)

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To the Op. I’ve shot Remington, Winchester, Savage, Badger, Deviant, and Tikka action rifles. Hands down the Savage is the grittist, stiffest, binding, most aggravating action made. This is not a big deal if you plan on using a Savage as a bench gun shooting paper but if you plan on hunting with it where multiple targets might be engaged or shooting movers at a match I would personally look to something other than Savage.

Granted, Savages generally have good accuracy but like most factory rifles you’ll need to reload to get the most out of it.

Most beginners are short sighted when looking at shooting long range. With rifles they only look at accuracy, with scopes it’s glass clairity but there’s more to it than that. Your first mistake is approaching this discipline with a cheep mindset. Everyone I know that shoots long range regularly have more in their scope than you have budgeted for rifle/scope.

You should buy what you think you can afford but I challenge you to check out all contenders before you make your purchase. A quick decision based on price could cost you later down the road. I heard an old adage long ago, buy once cry once. Meaning spend till you cry now so you won’t need to later. It’s a good rule of thumb and should be followed when possible.

If you have LE/military experience let me know and I can turn you on to ways of saving money on certain items you’ll need.

BTW If I was buying a budget rifle it would be a Tikka T3X CTR with its moa guarantee. Additional mags will cost you but I believe the rifles are still worth it. Later on if the long range bug really bites, you can still build more towards the custom rifle with the Tikka action. Granted you can do this with a Savage but you’re still stuck with a crappy action.

Ps I’m not trying to talk you out of the Steyr. Just do your homework before you purchase anything.

What twist does the rifle have and will it stabilize what you plan to shoot.
What’s the weight of the rifle and will it bother you to carry it far.
How comfortable is the cheek/palm weld/swell and length of pull?
Is the muzzle threaded and do you need one threaded?
What’s the barrel contour?
Will it maintain accuracy during long strings of fire?
What’s the bolt throw and does it matter to you?
How does the trigger feel and is it user adjustable?
Does the fore end flex and move?
Is there good aftermarket support like triggers, stocks, magazines, rails, etc?
What do others say about it on the WWW?

Last edited:

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's two scope options. I would lean more towards the Bushnell. The sad part is if your not current/former LE/Military you can't get these prices.

image.png

image.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom