10/22 for steel challenge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The pics suck because I didn’t have the correct light, but this is a 10-22 with Nordic Components furniture. Free floating barrel is a huge plus.

eae4b304366d6e52a77fa9b2c0e34605.jpg

53d558683943c9ef33113f899fe607ec.jpg

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I went out and took a look at 15/22 . I think I'm going to get it, felt better in my hands than the 10/22. I still doing research but I have seen good review, another down fall is not as much after market parts. Now I just need to see if I can find a better price than Academy.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did a quick search and so far this is the best I've come up with. One suggestion I would make is to also buy at least 5 magazines to go with it if you are going to do rimfire challenge.

https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-and-wesson-23.html
Well, I went out and took a look at 15/22 . I think I'm going to get it, felt better in my hands than the 10/22. I still doing research but I have seen good review, another down fall is not as much after market parts. Now I just need to see if I can find a better price than Academy.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My personal observations after MANY Steel Challenge matches is the Ruger 10-22 or 15-22 is not near as reliable as the AR variants.
The folks that run the original Ruger 15 or 15 round mags experience issues.
The guy that shoots and sometimes wins the OKC Gun Club will only shoot the 10 round rotary. He may have a key to reliability.
But, overall the AR platform like the M&P and the Nordic Uppers rule steel challenge. The Nordic having the upper hand IMHO.
I own all three platforms.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty balanced at the start of the round with 50 rounds midship.
You absolutely need the MZ brake as the standard muzzle will not record some of the shots going off because it's too quiet or the RO is not putting the timer close enough.
Some of the club timers at matches are not calibrated for rimfire shooting. I always use my personal CED-7000 on the squads I'm shooting with. It does a good job picking up the MZ blast.
The reason I said a brake is a must have is because you may shoot a stage incredibly fast, only to have it thrown out to timer failure because of the lack of muzzle blast to accurately record the times.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Horrible lighting.
117dc6d775ab2e23b8730d5ae26feb01.jpg

Spike's lower with a 3lb Timney trigger and a brake on the front so the timer can pick up the mz blast.

Can you tell me what brake you have on that. If I ever get back into doing steel challenge with my 22, I'd like for the timer to actually be able to pick up the sounds like it's supposed to. :-)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you tell me what brake you have on that. If I ever get back into doing steel challenge with my 22, I'd like for the timer to actually be able to pick up the sounds like it's supposed to. :-)
Nordic Corvette

What Ignored Member said. ^^^^^^ It sure makes a difference on the timer picking up the sound.
I got it from Makereadyprosports.com He runs the steel challenge match at the OKC Gun Club, and will bring it to a match if you're so inclined or will ship. He is in OKC.

Latest posts

Top Bottom