10mm 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A quick Stream of Consciousness:

I've wanted a 10mm 1911 for years, and for some reason when I have the money I always end up with something else. Interestingly, there's more options now than ever before. Here's a few interesting choices that I'm considering, with some basic pros/cons (for me) in respect to their prices:
I think the Ruger would make a great shooter...a project gun that I wouldn't be afraid to modify any way I want...modifications (including front strap checkering) means I'll have more money in it. The Kimber Camp Guard is really interesting, for a Kimber...I had a wonderful Series I Kimber, and it'd be wonderful if this gun turned out to be comparable to that one (but I'm kinda' doubting it...not sure). The Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail would be sweet, I'm sure...I'd definitely carry it and shoot it. What do ya'll think?

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, I shoot a Kimber in Bullseye competitions all over the Country. It is my first and only Kimber, but has been nothing short of wonderful. Currently it is sitting at just over 34,000 rounds on the frame, barrel and slide and shows no signs of slowing down. I shoot pretty low-med 230gr loads in it so a barrel burner they are not. Nothing wrong with the brand in my opinion, just like everything else opinions abound.
I also shoot a Springfield Target Match .45 for service pistol, it is nice as well, but the kimber is a smoother better shooting pistol to me. YMMV, but I do not think you can go wrong with any of the 10mm platforms you discussed. I buy my competition guns with the intent of accurizing them as much as I need to satisfy my skills, or lack of said skills. So any money saved on the purchase allows for "things" to make it fit me better. Good luck!!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Ruger is a master at casting/molding, so if anyone can pull off quality MIM parts, it would be them. The Kimber Series II isn't a Series 80, it's a Schwartz safety, and acts off the grip safety not the trigger, so the trigger is unaffected as in the Series 80 guns. As for the Camp10, I didn't realize Kimber was making Series 1 guns anymore; that's cool if they are! Maybe that will mean they'll make more of them. And as far as firing pin safeties go, the Kimber SeriesII / Schwartz is about as unobtrusive as anything. My only issue with Kimber anymore is value and their marketing strategy of "Make 100 models with the only differences being cosmetic" which honestly is irking me with Sig now too.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carried and shot a 45 Ed Brown bobtail for years. I shot it just as well as my 5" 1911's. It's a great setup for carry and shooting. I wouldn't think it would wear out any faster than a 5", and DW has been making 10mm guns for a long time.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruger is a master at casting/molding, so if anyone can pull off quality MIM parts, it would be them. The Kimber Series II isn't a Series 80, it's a Schwartz safety, and acts off the grip safety not the trigger, so the trigger is unaffected as in the Series 80 guns. As for the Camp10, I didn't realize Kimber was making Series 1 guns anymore; that's cool if they are! Maybe that will mean they'll make more of them. And as far as firing pin safeties go, the Kimber SeriesII / Schwartz is about as unobtrusive as anything. My only issue with Kimber anymore is value and their marketing strategy of "Make 100 models with the only differences being cosmetic" which honestly is irking me with Sig now too.

Yeah, I use "series 80" not in the literal sense, just denoting non-original safety addition. Kimber never stopped making Series I guns, but you'll only find them on select special editions.

Last edited:

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not on your list but I own a Remington R1 10mm Hunter that would fall into your middle range. The 6" barrel goes a long way toward taming the snappiness out of 10mm so would recommend long slide versions wherever you end up.

Remington has nearly ruined their reputation with me. I realize these are the Paras, but won't be buying anything Remington unless something changes. And I'd rather have shorter than 5" instead of longer (there's a joke on there somewhere!).

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had 2 DW's, neither one could keep the front site on. IMO, I would pick up a used Delta and have a competent gunsmith do a reliability package to it.

Same with Colt. They have been lost for a long time. Also, with 10mm I much prefer a ramped barrel, and the Deltas don't have it.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats what the gunsmith is for.lol I agree Colt has been lost for some time, but right now they are putting out some of their best stuff. You can pick yp a older Delta for around $900, then spend as much as you want for the work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom