10mm 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One more decision done: I tried to convince Dan Wesson to build me a Valkyrie Commander in 10mm, but they won't do it on an aluminum frame. I think during my sabbatical I will attend a top-quality 1911 building program, then just do it myself.
Well, there just might be a very good reason they won't use anything but steel for the frame.

I wouldn't want to think that I knew better than industry pros.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, there just might be a very good reason they won't use anything but steel for the frame.

I wouldn't want to think that I knew better than industry pros.
Yeah, they don't want to risk it failing under warranty, or worse...it failing and someone getting hurt, and I can understand that. However, I've done a great deal of research on aluminum-framed 10mm 1911s...there are more around that I would have thought...they hold up just fine...many with 10,000+ rounds, and several that were routinely disassembled and scanned for cracks or other frame issues (one of these is documented at 60,000 rounds).

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Link Below on 10mm aluminum framed 1911's: Other forums thoughts on a 10mm built on an aluminum frame. In most cases, the idea went over like a pregnant pole vaulter. From as far as I read, the only websites that mentioned aluminum framed and 10mm in the same specifications was Fusion Firearms and Heirloom Precision.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=aluminum+framed,+10mm,pistol,&oq=aluminum+framed,+10mm,pistol,&gs_l=psy-ab.12..33i160k1l2.2729.2729.0.5532.3.2.0.0.0.0.133.244.0j2.2.0....0...1.2.64.psy-ab..1.1.133.0.aHQgLIY1UZA

Last edited:

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Other forums thoughts on a 10mm built on an aluminum frame. In most cases, the idea went over like a pregnant pole vaulter. From as far as I read, the only website that mentioned aluminum framed and 10mm in the same specifications was Fusion Firearms.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=aluminum+framed,+10mm,pistol,&oq=aluminum+framed,+10mm,pistol,&gs_l=psy-ab.12..33i160k1l2.2729.2729.0.5532.3.2.0.0.0.0.133.244.0j2.2.0....0...1.2.64.psy-ab..1.1.133.0.aHQgLIY1UZA
I tend to trust those that have actually built them more than those that haven't, and in those cases the reports are surprisingly positive ('surprisingly' given the way people that have never built one talk about them). I'm certainly more convinced now than ever that most of the "10mm is too violent for an aluminum-framed 1911" stuff is simply myth, and not based on evidence. But I'm still learning. If you run across anyone that had problems with one, please share that info!

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should get more wear with aluminum. Frames usually get thinner on the frame rails towards the front with high round counts. I imagine with aluminum, and hot 10mm, that would accelerate.

Of course, practice ammunition in 10mm is quite mild. Closer to 40 cal than the hot 10mm loads. So if you shoot mostly range ammo I can't forsee a problem.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, they don't want to risk it failing under warranty, or worse...it failing and someone getting hurt, and I can understand that. However, I've done a great deal of research on aluminum-framed 10mm 1911s...there are more around that I would have thought...they hold up just fine...many with 10,000+ rounds, and several that were routinely disassembled and scanned for cracks or other frame issues (one of these is documented at 60,000 rounds).

This sounds fascinating. Got a link?

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should get more wear with aluminum. Frames usually get thinner on the frame rails towards the front with high round counts. I imagine with aluminum, and hot 10mm, that would accelerate.

Of course, practice ammunition in 10mm is quite mild. Closer to 40 cal than the hot 10mm loads. So if you shoot mostly range ammo I can't forsee a problem.

Agreed, even some .45 frames show wear, so I wouldn't expect a normal life. I was reading last night about a guy who used to build officer's sized aluminum 10mm pistols...very interesting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom