10mm 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, they don't want to risk it failing under warranty, or worse...it failing and someone getting hurt, and I can understand that. However, I've done a great deal of research on aluminum-framed 10mm 1911s...there are more around that I would have thought...they hold up just fine...many with 10,000+ rounds, and several that were routinely disassembled and scanned for cracks or other frame issues (one of these is documented at 60,000 rounds).

That's good. I hadn't heard of them.

Me either. I'm willing to experiment, even if it fails.

This sounds fascinating. Got a link?

Agreed, even some .45 frames show wear, so I wouldn't expect a normal life. I was reading last night about a guy who used to build officer's sized aluminum 10mm pistols...very interesting.

From what I understand none of the 1911 classes will let you work with aluminum frames. Usually it's all 5" and steel. Who sells a 1911 alum frame for you to build upon?

Caspian does

Of exceptional quality no doubt.

Do you by any chance have that link on the documented 10mm with tear downs? It would be interesting to see the build/setup.

I don't, but I'll find it again. The more I read, the more I think this would be a fun project. For a commander, most use a heavier main spring, heavier recoil spring, and flat FPS (or, whichever version delays unlocking the longest).

Found any links yet?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I've been busy and haven't been back in 1911 research mode. I'll get back into it soon. The next time I dig in, I'll be sure to save the valuable links!

Awww cmon now, should be easy to come up with. Especially since you've been spending a ton of time here lately. Just really would like to know what kind of setup they did.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awww cmon now, should be easy to come up with. Especially since you've been spending a ton of time here lately. Just really would like to know what kind of setup they did.
Nah, it isn't so easy. It's buried in some weird site from around 2000. I figured out that there was a lot of online discussion about aluminum-framed 10mm 1911s from about 2000-2005, then discussion about them tapered off. It is there, and I'm sure I can chase it down the rabbit hole when I get back to it. If you're in a hurry, I'm sure your search engines work as well as mine do.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nah, it isn't so easy. It's buried in some weird site from around 2000. I figured out that there was a lot of online discussion about aluminum-framed 10mm 1911s from about 2000-2005, then discussion about them tapered off. It is there, and I'm sure I can chase it down the rabbit hole when I get back to it. If you're in a hurry, I'm sure your search engines work as well as mine do.

People talk a lot on forums and it's just nice to have some reference. You claim to be very adept at "research" so I figured it would've been pretty easy given the details you relayed. I've just been reading 1911 forums for years and I've never come across something like that so it was definitely interesting, especially since I was curious about 9x21,9x23 guns. Maybe we will all just conveniently forget about it. :D

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People talk a lot on forums and it's just nice to have some reference. You claim to be very adept at "research" so I figured it would've been pretty easy given the details you relayed. I've just been reading 1911 forums for years and I've never come across something like that so it was definitely interesting, especially since I was curious about 9x21,9x23 guns. Maybe we will all just conveniently forget about it. :D
Whatever. If you seriously wanted me to find something for you, why would continue with the attitude? Do you routinely expect a person to help you when you're constantly making smartass and denigrating remarks towards that person? Given your attitude towards me, I think me offering to find it for you is trying...I'm seriously trying here man. The source is there, and I need to find it again for myself as well, so the next time I'm doing that research, I'll find it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever. If you seriously wanted me to find something for you, why would continue with the attitude? Do you routinely expect a person to help you when you're constantly making smartass and denigrating remarks towards that person? Given your attitude towards me, I think me offering to find it for you is trying...I'm seriously trying here man. The source is there, and I need to find it again for myself as well, so the next time I'm doing that research, I'll find it.

I wasn't giving you attitude, I was being coy. There's a difference. Post up that stuff when/if you find it....... even more curious as to what they used back in 2000.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't giving you attitude, I was being coy. There's a difference. Post up that stuff when/if you find it....... even more curious as to what they used back in 2000.

I'm talking about these posts on top of your attitude in other threads, but I'm thinking you know that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom