110 Johnson outboard bogging down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is your primer bulb getting firm and staying that way? Cheap ones don't last long. Also turn it vertical when you pump it if possible with end towards the engine up. Sounds like a fuel issue for sure. Also check your throttle cable isn't worn out and moves freely.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some boats have a water filter in a rear compartment or battery box. It is to separate the water from the fuel.
Should look like a screw in oil filter with a fuel line going into and out of it. If it’s nearly full it won’t pass enough fuel giving the same symptoms your experiencing.

Gone_fishn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is your primer bulb getting firm and staying that way? Cheap ones don't last long. Also turn it vertical when you pump it if possible with end towards the engine up. Sounds like a fuel issue for sure. Also check your throttle cable isn't worn out and moves freely.
The bulb does get firm. I also tried pumping it while it was bogged down and it didn’t help. The cable seems to be fine. The butterflies open when I throttle it up. They don’t open much, but they do open. I’m not sure how much they should open though.

Gone_fishn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some boats have a water filter in a rear compartment or battery box. It is to separate the water from the fuel.
Should look like a screw in oil filter with a fuel line going into and out of it. If it’s nearly full it won’t pass enough fuel giving the same symptoms your experiencing.
Mine doesn’t have a filter like that. But at first I thought there may have been water in the fuel. But it idles good, and for about the first few seconds it throttles up good. I do appreciate all the advice. Keep em coming, I’ll try them all tomorrow.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bulb does get firm. I also tried pumping it while it was bogged down and it didn’t help. The cable seems to be fine. The butterflies open when I throttle it up. They don’t open much, but they do open. I’m not sure how much they should open though.

I'm by no means an outboard engine guy, but I do believe the carb butterflies should open completely upon a full throttle..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm by no means an outboard engine guy, but I do believe the carb butterflies should open completely upon a full throttle..
Unless the throttle enriching valve is operating? Your right, they should be open, but that made me think of the electrical key operated enriching valve solenoid that could have failed restricting the butterfly's?

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless the throttle enriching valve is operating? Your right, they should be open, but that made me think of the electrical key operated enriching valve solenoid that could have failed restricting the butterfly's?

If that was true though it wouldn't throttle up for 10 seconds then fall on its face. This sounds more like a fuel issue though the butterflies not fully opening sounds like another problem to look into.

Latest posts

Top Bottom