12 Ga. slug for Bear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never intend to shoot a bear, however in the past few years on the rare occasins I go deer hunting I use a .41 Mag. revolver. This past fall I saw some bear sign and I'm not sure the .41 would be sufficient to stop a bear if necessary.

I have a 12 Ga. rifled barrel slug gun and wondered if it would work to defend against a bear.

Thoughts?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your shot placement is good, yeah, I would think so... but man, I hope I never have to find out. I'd like to shoot a bear some day, but not at slug gun range defensively.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Either will do the job, use whichever you're more proficient with. Personally I would carry my .41rm gladly over a 12g any day. Keep in mind if a bear were actually on you, you can still operate your pistol with one hand and be able to fire it point blank.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Either will do the job, use whichever you're more proficient with. Personally I would carry my .41rm gladly over a 12g any day. Keep in mind if a bear were actually on you, you can still operate your pistol with one hand and be able to fire it point blank.

Iwould likely take both into the field, just have the slug gun for bear defense, just wondering

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

...as he's chewing your arm off.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re talking about black bear here in Oklahoma, a 9mm is just fine. You guys watched too much grizzly Adam’s 50 years ago

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In oklahoma, we only have black bear, which are very much reclusive and not aggressive as they’re more herbivores and scavengers more than anything else. Nextly, the average size of our black bear here is probably no more than 120-140 pounds, so think pudgy 12 year old kid size.

Latest posts

Top Bottom