• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

12 Gauge Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
This may be a long shot but I know of a young man that is going to be on his high school skeet shooting team this Fall and he is looking for an inexpensive shotgun. Apparently it is a very small school and they can't provide guns.

If anyone has a deal on a Maverick 88 or something similar, let me know.

Also I don't know what chokes are best for skeet shooting so any info on what/what not to use is appreciated.

Thanks!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
Shooting skeet with a pump is an almost impossible task to do. The shooting is just to fast. I’ve watched guys do it for fun but that was after they shot a few rounds with a 10k Perazzi. A decent quality semi or O/U will do the trick. Even the Turkish O/U can’t hold up to the pounding a skeet gun takes. The only way to make one last at all is to hand load reduced power rounds. Even then, I’ve seen Yildiz and Stoeger guns come apart after a few thousand reduced loads.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You need to check the rules, most of the school skeet and trap teams are only allowed to use
certain guns. My kids shot trap in Woodward, and they could only use a stoeger OU.
The rule is in place to keep the competition level to skill not equipment. It may very by class
but I am not sure. I would check with the school before you buy a gun that you can not use.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Shooting skeet with a pump is an almost impossible task to do. The shooting is just to fast. I’ve watched guys do it for fun but that was after they shot a few rounds with a 10k Perazzi. A decent quality semi or O/U will do the trick. Even the Turkish O/U can’t hold up to the pounding a skeet gun takes. The only way to make one last at all is to hand load reduced power rounds. Even then, I’ve seen Yildiz and Stoeger guns come apart after a few thousand reduced loads.
I thought it was kinda odd that he wanted a pump shotgun but I was just going by what his dad said he was looking for. Thanks for the info.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
@O4L,
I have a Stevens Savage side by side that I will give him. If he is interested. It’s what I learned to shoot skeet with. Improved cylinder on one side and modified on the other. 2 triggers. Let me know if he is interested.
Jeff
I will let him know. Thanks!

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I thought it was kinda odd that he wanted a pump shotgun but I was just going by what his dad said he was looking for. Thanks for the info.
Whomever told you it’s a bad idea to shoot skeet with a pump is full of beans. All I’ve ever used since I was 12 (54 now) was a 20 gauge BPS (Browning Pump Shotgun) for my skeet and quail gun. Hadn’t shot a round for years and thought “what the heck” three years ago. Grabbed my BPS and shot a 22 and a 21. A young guy will have that thing shucked in the blink of an eye and it would absolutely be the gun I’d suggest. As expense is a concern he not only will be able to use it for skeet but dove and quail as well. As for the choke I always used a skeet choke (mine has screw in chokes). When the next grandkid is ready for their shotgun it will be either a BPS, Model 12 or Mossberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom