12g Home Defense shells

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can we please make suggesting birdshot for defense ammo be a bannable offense? One of these days some unlucky SOB is going to take it seriously and get himself killed.

Seriously folks, read all the "tactical briefs" on firearmstactical.com you can (already linked in the thread). They take a scientific, no-bs approach to firearms with respect to self-defense and combat. If you're relying on what your buddy down at the gun store told you when you have the entire Internet at your disposal, you're doing it wrong.

V1K1NG0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quick draw pretty much has the same game plan as I do.

For me it all depends on what I can find and at what price. I've used anything from 4, 1, 00, 000 buckshot. Since 00 is just so cheap and abundant that's what I use in my primary HD shotgun. I have another setup the same way with 00 and my last one with just slugs. They do pretty good on pumpkins, stumps, old kegs, old refrigerators etc etc. I've yet to ever need them for HD, thank God.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't agree with this. At the close quarters you'll be shooting inside your home birdshot can be extremely effective. I saw the test you linked showing birdshot against sheetrock at 12 feet, yada, yada, yada, but have you ever shot a living creature with birdshot at 12 feet or less?? It is devastating.

I have killed a cat and several possums with 2 3/4 #7 birdshot and it took several shots at close range to kill them. They were badly injured and riddled with pellets and undoubtedly dying after the first shots but were still alive and trying to escape.

This was from a semi auto shotty with a 18 1/2 inch bbl.

I will stick with #00 buck, thank you.

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
on Memorial Day of 2009, a kid was shot from approximately 15 feet away with a 12 gauge loaded with the cheapo value pack birdshot. the bird shot killed the kid. how do i know it was birdshot? because i saw the marks it left on one of the vehicles by a missed shot. one of my neighbors who served in vietnam caught the kid as he was being shot. the kid didn't die immediately, but he was completely disabled after being shot, and died shortly after. the cheap bird shot is more than capable of killing, but i would prefer big pieces of lead

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
here's some info on the shooting. i couldnt find much more on it yet. it happened at the apartments right next to where i used to live
Man arrested in fatal Tulsa shooting
The victim of a second Memorial Day weekend homi-cide is identified.

JAILED
Derrick Wayne Mills: He allegedly was buying marijuana when police say he shot Matthew Alexander Crotts, 18, with a shotgun in the parking lot of the Tower Crossing Apartments, 4404 S. 109th East Ave., about 5 p.m. Monday. Crotts was pronounced dead at a hospital, police said.

By NICOLE MARSHALL World Staff Writer
Published: 5/27/2009 2:22 AM
Last Modified: 5/27/2009 5:17 AM

The Homicide Report: Search homicides from 1989 to the present and see and see a map showing where they happened. Each record includes details of the case. See videos of interviews with families impacted by homicide.

Police arrested a man Tuesday in connection with the Memorial Day shotgun-slaying of a teenager in an apartment complex parking lot.

Derrick Wayne Mills, 21, was arrested on a first- degree murder complaint in the homicide of Matthew Alexander Crotts, 18.

Crotts was fatally wounded by a shotgun blast in the parking lot of the Tower Crossing Apartments, 4404 S. 109th East Ave., about 5 p.m. Monday.

He was pronounced dead at a hospital, police said.

Mills allegedly was buying marijuana when he shot and killed Crotts, according to a police report.

He admitted firing two rounds from a shotgun, the report states. Crotts died from a shot to the chest.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/arti...leid=20090527_11_A16_Police117284&archive=yes

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have killed a cat and several possums with 2 3/4 #7 birdshot and it took several shots at close range to kill them. They were badly injured and riddled with pellets and undoubtedly dying after the first shots but were still alive and trying to escape.

This was from a semi auto shotty with a 18 1/2 inch bbl.

I will stick with #00 buck, thank you.

I've shot several smaller animals at close range, i.e. 10 feet or less, and even birdshot penetrated completely through them and left about a 3 or 4 inch exit wound. Granted this was with a 26 or 28 inch modified barrel. An 18" cylinder barrel would give completely different ballistics.

Again, for those with limited reading comprehension, I stated in my first post that I prefer #4 buckshot, so I am not trying to say that birdshot is the preferred load, but to imply that smaller pellets at extremely close range won't kill a human is ridiculous despite what some ballistic gelatin might show.

Latest posts

Top Bottom