12g Home Defense shells

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
on Memorial Day of 2009, a kid was shot from approximately 15 feet away with a 12 gauge loaded with the cheapo value pack birdshot. the bird shot killed the kid. how do i know it was birdshot? because i saw the marks it left on one of the vehicles by a missed shot. one of my neighbors who served in vietnam caught the kid as he was being shot. the kid didn't die immediately, but he was completely disabled after being shot, and died shortly after. the cheap bird shot is more than capable of killing, but i would prefer big pieces of lead

Eggs-zactly!!!

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot several smaller animals at close range, i.e. 10 feet or less, and even birdshot penetrated completely through them and left about a 3 or 4 inch exit wound. Granted this was with a 26 or 28 inch modified barrel. An 18" cylinder barrel would give completely different ballistics.

The velocity of the shot would not be much different between the 18 and 28 inch barrel. The choke would keep the shot grouped together longer.

The old idea of long shotgun barrels shooting "harder" is a myth until you get to around 14" and shorter barrels.

My choice is 00 buck indoors and maybe switching to slugs for outside use depending upon range and the threat.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People die from getting shot by .22's all the time, yet I can't ever think of anyone suggesting that a .22 is the best choice for a personal defense round.

Capable, and likely are two different things.

For the scenario listed there are a lot of variables

a. No one on this board KNOWS that it was target load shot shells. There is a huge variety of shot out there.

b. The shooting happened in the summer, which makes it pretty likely that there wasn't much restistance offered by the clothing.

c. The true distance that the victim was shot from isn't accurately known.

If people want to risk their own lives, more power to them, but when someone asks a question about a RELIABLE self defense round, please please please for the love of life, don't pop off about how a .22 or target load shell can keep someone alive by being a viable defensive round.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Um the "I quit" mechanisim is air in fluid out...the longer the wound channel the more of both...yes bird shot can and has killed...but most times it is less than rapid if at all. Much of this depends on the mind set of the target, I'm shot and so what compaired to I have been shot I have to die now. I have done quit a bit of testing and I feel #4 Buck is the MINIMUM...(I load up with full power 000)...but any good low recoil 00 is just ducky and isn't too prone to over penetrate....For home defense, the question that should be on your mind is that if a Bear came into my house what would I use....cause a good old meth/angleduster is a lot like that bear to stop....Let,s be safe out there! And as for over penetration....well a good plan wins hands down as people have said!

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having hunted with bird shot all my life it worries me some will trust their lives to bird shot. It doesn't kill small game well at lot of times esp. at distance. I shot a 10-15 lb mut that was dumped in the country once. It chewed though my double solid shed doors trying to get to my female in heat. At 10 yards (20ga 7 1/2 shot) the dog yelped and ran right through the preacher down the street yard sell, that was unexpected for a dog that size:hot:

Yes many are killed by AD discharge at close distance but again would you trust your life with the stopping power on a full grown man moving in the dark? How about someone pumped up on drugs? Man you really want the heat have a home invasion with 2 or 3 people. Could you drop them before your dead? I can see maybe putting first round BS but I have a couple people rushing me I want to drop them, the odds wouldn't be in your favor with Bird shot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom