12g Home Defense shells

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow thats not what I got out of the tests on Slugs...Best Buckshot penetrated 19-23" of 10% ballistic gelatine....Full power FOSTER TYPE slug penetrated 22-24" or about the same....HOWEVER Solid Slugs like Breneke, Fiocchi, Wolf/Schonenbeck penetrated 28-34" of Gelatin...As for Mythbusters and firearms...well...busted. It depends on the defermation and the velocity of the round in water....IE A.P. in a 30 or 50 cal will go through about tripple what you would expect because of small frontal area and NO defermation. FMJs in almost anything will way over penetrat in water media compaired to anything that expands. The thought that the bigger the bullet the less it penetrates water is just absurd, if that was the fact I guess a 16" deckgun shell would meerly skip off the top and be spent.....not!

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about plated buck shot. It would be an important note to realise that lead buck shot deforms and flattens out. All the cheap buck is not plated, need to find copper plated buck and then you truely have multiple projectiles that can do great damage while retaining weight through different medias

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about plated buck shot. It would be an important note to realise that lead buck shot deforms and flattens out. All the cheap buck is not plated, need to find copper plated buck and then you truely have multiple projectiles that can do great damage while retaining weight through different medias

When I bought my Mossy 500 18.5", OAS had Federal Vital-Shok (ie plated) 00 2.75" Max for $3.60 a box. I bought as much as I could afford.
Hard to beat that price.

Latest posts

Top Bottom