• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

14.5”

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
You can get all the way down to a 13.7" pinned and welded depending on the MD. Ref: 13.7" COMBAT GRADE 5.56mm - Sons of Liberty Gun Works

SOLGW uses a lot of KeyMO ready flash hiders and can (like RJ said) work with a 13.7 barrel to achieve overall length. Surefire flash hiders can work with a 14.5 barrel.
IMO, if I was making/buying a rifle, the shortest I would go is 14.5". No shorter, unless you absolutely have to say that you have a shorter barrel that's pinned and welded to be 16". You don't get anything out of it except reduced velocity, energy, and accuracy.
If I am required by law to have a 16" barreled rifle, (without paying special privilege tax) then my purpose is to have a 16" max length including MD. I prefer 16" barrels but they become 18" with an MD, except for one I have. (It has a one-off MD that is .5" longer than the barrel)

My only exception would be an XM177E1 - 11.5" barrel with the 4.5" moderator...that's what they originally were.

Anything shorter and I'll just do a pistol to get the advantage of the size and handling.

Last edited: