14" Barrel on Rem 870

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So...I send off for the stamp, I get the stamp, I get a 14" 870, have my name, city & state engraved, write up a will, yaddida, yaddida, yaddida. :blahblah:

Then, when I die, whoever I will it to gets it...right? Do they hafta send in $200 and all the paperwork and blah, blah, blah like I did? Or is it theirs "free and clear" even with my name on it? Or do they hafta do the entire process that I did?

This is so confusing. :scratch:

It would transfer tax free on an ATF form 5 to your heir. They do not have to engrave anything as they are the transferee, not the maker like you were.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is such a PITA. :pissed:

Here is mine with the SGT ghost rings

adsdd.com_guns_870.jpg

If this 870 weren't so damned sexy and drop-dead gorgeous, I'd forget about the entire thing. :grumble:

But day-um! :ooh2: This is the most gorgeous weapon I've seen in a long, LONG time! I mean, it's absolutely perfect!!! Speedfeed stock, Tac-Star 6 round side-saddle, Surefire lighted forend - what more could you ask for? :w000t: :woot: :bighug: :heart::heart:

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too have wanted to do a SBS for a long time now, but I have a coupla questions.

What if I have my name, city and state engraved on the SBS and then move to another city and/or state?

When I die, what happens to my SBS then?

Is the 870's mag tube a flush fit for the 14" barrel? Or do you have a 1 round ext. on it?

And lastly, how do you have the front end of that sling attached?

:thanku:

Didn't notice your questions until re-reading this thread this morning, sorry.

1. You do not have to worry about moving/engraving. The engraving is because you made the SBS on a Form 1, so you are the maker. It is just like the markings Remington put on it when they made it as a title 1 gun. If Remington moves they do not have everyone send in their gun to re-engrave their new city/state on it and neither would you.

2. The gun would transfer tax free on an ATF Form 5 to your heir. Don't know about how it would work for a trust/corp as I always go individual.

3. & 4. A 12.5" barrel would come out flush with the tube. A 14" comes out flush with a 1-shot extension. The 1-shot extension has a side sling loop on it.
[Broken External Image]

spyguy1

New to the site!
Reaction score
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=183609996

Process to legally make your short shotgun legal

Step #1 Get a Form 1 (in duplicate) and two fingerprint cards and two 2x2" Passport Photos Step

#2 Have your local chief of police or Sheriff sign the back of your completed Form 1

Step #3 Mail your completed forms, signed by your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer, your two fingerprint cards and two photos to the ATF with a US Postal Money Order for $200.00

Step #4 While you are waiting on your approved stamp, send your receiver to an engraver and have your FULL NAME, CITY and STATE Engraved on it, you will have to have the location of this engraving listed on your FORM 1

Step #5 Wait for the approved stamp, 90 days to 12 months, depending on ATF

Just a Tip, An UNREGISTERED Short Barrel Shotgun or Rifle or ANY unregistered NFA weapon will get you an Automatic Ten Year Jail Sentence and a $250,000 fine.

DO NOT LOOSE YOUR RIGHTS by not paying the fee and doing the right thing. The Tax is a one time tax and thats it, NO CLASS 3 License is required, no FFL is required, you can do it yourself.

SO DO NOT ASSEMBLE OR HAVE PARTS IN SAME LOCATION UNTIL FORM IS APPROVED

A Good Engraver to use, who is reputable and cheap and quick turn around : (It cost me $60.00 shipped to have my 870 SBS engraved, ejection side between pins)
http://www.orion-arms.com/

Form 1's and Finger Print cards can be obtained here: http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/

Attachments

• 870 sbs barrel.jpg
    870 sbs barrel.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 870 sbs 2.jpg
    870 sbs 2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 208

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me suggest anyone looking at buying a factory 14" barrel, give Vang Comp a call. I paid 375 for the barrel with their full vang comp system on it.

considering they charge over 200 to work the barrel over. You can save a considerable amount of money just ordering a stocker from them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom