15-22 captured hammer and trigger pins.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since reading about some of the issues with the 15-22 pins potentially walking and having a runaway issue among other things I have been looking at some "Anti-rotation" pins that would also prevent them from shifting out of position but at 30 bucks a set plus shipping as the cheapest I could find them I have been hesitant to pick them up.

Well I found someone on Amazon selling upgraded decapping pins for Lee dies and then found out they sell them for a little cheaper direct from their own sight with free shipping as well. They also have a set of hammer and trigger pins made for the 15-22 that were only ten bucks. Went ahead and ordered them Monday and they showed up today. Got them installed and so far they seem to work perfectly. I also have to say that the trigger feels just a little smoother as well for an added benefit.

I feel better now about going out and shooting it without the chance of the pins slipping and allowing something to happen. Even though I do make sure to check them before use I know things can happen. They also have the pins for aluminium lowers and have a discount on them right now which is the pictures of the actual pins the 15-22 ones are just slightly longer.

20180509_124125.jpg 20180509_124138.jpg 20180509_124211.jpg 20180509_124337.jpg 20180509_124416.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve used anti-walk pins from Brownells on all of my AR’s for many years. Never had any of the conventional pins walk out but common sense said it was possible.
One less thing to worry about.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you put any BLUE loctite on the screws? I only ask because I put a set of pins like these in my 15-22 that I had installed a drop in trigger in and low and behold, the screw on one of them backed out. Now, I didn't get them from this seller (got them off The Bay), but they are all pretty much the same thing. I replaced the screw with a new one and put just a dab of blue loctite on them just to be sure nothing backed out again.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, coated one and just a dab on the other. Only needs to have one screw ever come out. Used blue but one of them could have been red without an issue.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only emphasized blue because from my understanding, the red requires heat to remove and heat probably doesn't mix too well with the polymer lower. :-)

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right, but as long as one is blue it's not a big deal. Can always slide the pin out. I did use blue just slathered it on for one side. To me it is an irritation when the wrong screw ends up coming off from what you want.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any other news on the issues that got them banned from Appleseed? I've looked around a bit but couldn't find anything.

Not that I have seen. They are still on their "list" and from what I could tell it was the newer version that does not have the quad rail that was the most problematic due to the out of battery issues, what I gathered was the old version with the quad rail did not have this happen. Both had the chance to runaway due to the hammer and trigger pins walking a little so that the sear could not engage properly.

My guess is it will now be a government style thing of proving their is not a dangerous malfunction with a rifle that has the captured pins over 50k rounds while four officials watch the whole thing. Or they expect a recall to happen so that they can be reworked with tolerances that are not quite as tight so they will run dirty. It's too bad since pretty much any 22lr can have an oob detonation, even the 10/22's have it happen. Looking at a post about it showed they helped send one back and it was chocked up to fouling for the OOB and the other was due to incorrect ammo and another issue was due to the pins shifting. https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=50312.0 shows the opinions pretty plain. They also stated there something to the effect of they are not going to check ammo and cleanliness of rifles before an event to make sure everything will be safe which IMHO is part of the job when you are going to train a bunch of people. That or they could simply state that 15-22's will not be allowed with the non recommended ammo and that all rifles must be in a clean and serviceable state. Then the guy who has the 50 year old lever action that has never seen a drop of oil let alone a cleaning since it was purchased can stay home too.

Either way doesn't matter to me really, mine has shot perfectly and the pins always gave me the creeps so getting them changed to the captured style makes me happy. I also clean my rifles including the AR's after shooting and oil them up before I start so I don't have to think about issues due to being dirty. I'm not going to run out and buy a 10/22 or shoot 223 just to go to an event. I have thought about going to an Appleseed but adding more costs to it when I have something that is perfectly serviceable doesn't float the boat for me. But it is their event and they can stipulate any rules they want....

Latest posts

Top Bottom