16" .308 Ruger American

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think my gun may have been abused by the previous owner or just a fail at the factory.
I could not get over the odd marks on my fired brass ..like the case mouth was getting into the rifling on one section of the case mouth.

I cleaned the snot out of my gun again and made sure no fouling or copper was in the chamber or barrel then got my scope out and took a look.
Looks like the end of the chamber where the case mouth would stop and rifling would start is messed up in 1 section.

Looks like instead of the squared off lip the end of the chamber has a taper in one section.
That would explain the rifling groove marks on the case mouth. Case when fired is flowing into this area.
I would need to trim my brass .030" shorter to avoid the marks.
I could use .243 cases necked up to .308..This will give me a short case. Or trim the cases I have now much shorter and retest.

Still have the bullet starting out crooked possibly. Test and see.

A picture or 2 of what i seen with the scope.
I turned the camera to make sure it was not a shadow issue and it is not a shadow.
ruger throat 001.JPG
ruger throat 002.JPG

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@swampratt , I have been reading your posts for a while now and wantto say that I really appreciate and admire your dedication to detail and load development. Part of me wishes I could pay you to coach me on being so meticulous, and part of me realizes I'm way to lazy to be that detailed, and wishes I could just pay you to work up a load for me. :pms2:

But you are an inspiration to be more precise in testing and documentation, sersly....

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I probably get it from engine building where the last .0005" makes a difference.
I have been told I am too meticulous there even.
But I take my stuff out and do this to it every day i drive it.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to shoot in some local matches, and spent a lot more time and effort in developing accurate loads then. Still not as well as you, but more so than now. Now I'm pretty happy if it just throws a chunk of lead in the general direction of the target. LOL!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I think my gun may have been abused by the previous owner or just a fail at the factory.
I could not get over the odd marks on my fired brass ..like the case mouth was getting into the rifling on one section of the case mouth.

I cleaned the snot out of my gun again and made sure no fouling or copper was in the chamber or barrel then got my scope out and took a look.
Looks like the end of the chamber where the case mouth would stop and rifling would start is messed up in 1 section.

Looks like instead of the squared off lip the end of the chamber has a taper in one section.
That would explain the rifling groove marks on the case mouth. Case when fired is flowing into this area.
I would need to trim my brass .030" shorter to avoid the marks.
I could use .243 cases necked up to .308..This will give me a short case. Or trim the cases I have now much shorter and retest.

Still have the bullet starting out crooked possibly. Test and see.

A picture or 2 of what i seen with the scope.
I turned the camera to make sure it was not a shadow issue and it is not a shadow.View attachment 147033 View attachment 147034

I’d try contacting Ruger or a gunsmith. That might be something they can hit with a chamber reamer and clean up.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This chamber is already way too long and the diameter of my fired cases are .005" larger than in my Savage.
My savage 10 i seat the 168A max to 2.818" for .005" off the lands.
This Ruger I get no marks on the bullet until I reach 2.830" I am sure the lands are messed up a bit possibly.

I cut the barrel also and I bet all warranty is gone.
Not that I would send it anyway.
I will try short neck cases and I have some 165 game king HPBT bullets that have a very long bearing surface.
Those may give me the best chance at tighter groups..
Heck I would be happy with groups instead of shotgun pattern.

Latest posts

Top Bottom