16" .308 Ruger American

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SR you lost me if the chamber is to long,

I should have said it is a long ways to the rifling area that the bullet contacts the Leade I think it is called and the chamber is not so long.
I am going to take more pictures of .308 chambers and cut the base of a case off and stick my camera in there and insert it into the chamber and see what kind of differences i can see with the case shoulder bottomed out in the chamber.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This chamber is already way too long and the diameter of my fired cases are .005" larger than in my Savage.
My savage 10 i seat the 168A max to 2.818" for .005" off the lands.
This Ruger I get no marks on the bullet until I reach 2.830" I am sure the lands are messed up a bit possibly.

I cut the barrel also and I bet all warranty is gone.
Not that I would send it anyway.
I will try short neck cases and I have some 165 game king HPBT bullets that have a very long bearing surface.
Those may give me the best chance at tighter groups..
Heck I would be happy with groups instead of shotgun pattern.
Per your measurements Savage 10 seating 2.818 + .005= 2.823 to lands. Ruger seating 2.830 to lands. The .007 difference is not the problem.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep not the problem.
If I had a chamber reamer I would remove this barrel and try it

Going to make loads and go shoot before rain hits.
60 mile drive 1 way to find out

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you go waist a load of time on chasing this maybe you should call manufacture and tell them. They are known to do things like re- barrel, re-cut, fix , replace and sometimes you get back a firearm that has been gone over better than the production line quality.

Latest posts

Top Bottom