165gr hard cast 30-30

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im trying to work up a good 30-30 plinking load.
I am using 165grain Hard Cast Bullets (these).

I've looked in my Speer and Hornady books and they only include data for 160 and 170 grain bullets. Same with http://hodgdonreloading.com.

I have Varget and a bit of 4064. I understand Varget is not the best because I am trying to keep fps pretty low.

Speer book recommends
starting load of 29gr Varget with a 160grFNSP to get approx. 1825fps.
starting load of 27gr Varget with a 170grFNSP to get approx. 1626fps.

Can I start with a load that is between the two starting loads?
Are those fps too high for hard cast bullets?

-M

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think your powder matches your bullets very well. If you plan to run a cast bullet over about 1600 fps it needs to be a gas checked version. The bullets you are looking to load are made for low velocites in Cowboy Action Shooting and are usually loaded at about 1100 to 1400 fps with TrailBoss or a pistol powder.

What do you plan to use the cast bullet cartridges for?

Cedar Creek

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think your powder matches your bullets very well. If you plan to run a cast bullet over about 1600 fps it needs to be a gas checked version. The bullets you are looking to load are made for low velocites in Cowboy Action Shooting and are usually loaded at about 1100 to 1400 fps with TrailBoss or a pistol powder.

What do you plan to use the cast bullet cartridges for?

Cedar Creek

Thank you sir. That was my suspicion, but i didn't know that fps should stay under 1400 for non gas checked bullets. I want to use them for plinking at the range. I was trying to cut costs.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have found for non gas checked bullets you can start low and work up until the bullet tumbles when it tumbles a couple things are happening.
The bullet is skidding through the bore instead of spinning from the groove rotation.

This will allow lead to build up and the bullet will no longer have rifle grooves in it when you recover it.. it will look like you took 36 grit sand paper and sanded it.

Depending on twist rate and groove profile along with proper hardness and size you will be surprised how fast you can send a lead bullet.
And the hardest lead is not the answer.

The gas check keeps the bullet spinning in the grooves and allows more speed before it skids and tumbles.

I use a gas checked lee 170gr and varget which is a great powder for those and my velocity is mid 1800 to mid 1900fps and accuracy at 100 yards is on par with 150gr plated bullets.

But like was stated by Cedar Creek you may could push the non gas checked bullet too fast.. but only way to know is to shoot some paper and recover the bullet
for inspection.

I had some fliers when shooting cast from my 30-30 and discovered that it was neck thickness issues.. some necks were .013" thick and some of the brass was .010" thick.
I turned all necks to .010" thick and eliminated my fliers.

My groups would look good and tight then one would be 4" away or more.
This was with rifle powders.
Funny thing was with 2400 powder the groups were 2x as large as the rifle powders but no fliers.

Maybe they were all fliers in the same area....
I have been needing to shoot my 30-30 more.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not yet found a suitable replacement bullet for plinking.
Until I find said replacement, I will use 357mag for plinking instead.

For the 30-30, I will pick up where I left off working on a good white tail load.
I worked up to a decent load using 31grains of Varget with 150r RN Interlock bullets.
I have not tested above 31.2 grains Varget so thats where I will pick up.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Instead, I should really invest in a bullet sizer and lumber.
I have a RCBS single stage press, should I stick with the RCBS sizer/luber?

What do you all use?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use lee gas checked bullets that I make and the dies and sizer is lee, and I tumble lube them with Lee alox.
My buddies 1974 build, model 94 30-30 likes R-P brass with cci 200 primers and 34.5-35gr varget,
It is a hot load and a case full.. I do not crimp very much and this is a 150gr speer #2011 bullet.

I also have a model 94 built in 1974 but it does not like that load,, and if I neck size my cases they will not chamber in his gun.
So his chamber is a bit tighter somewhere.

I have thought about a lubersizer but the alox has done well for me.
But I did notice if I shoot 10 rounds back to back of the gas checked 30-30 round the accuracy and group stays the same but the velocity creeps up and up.

Someone on another forum stated it could be I was using too much alox.. and I may have been.. so I stick with 3 shot or 4 shot strings.
Now red dot powder and cast work amazing in rifles.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another alternative for a plinker load in the .30-30 is the Hornady 100 grain half-jacket bullet or the Speer 100 grain Plinker. My favorite of the two is the Hornady, but I wouldn't slow it down too much for fear of shedding the jacket in the bore. I've also had great luck with the Speer 110 Varminter - it has a flat hollow point and shoots well for me.

Cedar Creek

Latest posts

Top Bottom