17 Design Lower - Parts list planning ahead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I see ad's such as the below. Then I see the highly rated complete upper as I posted above from Acme Machine for around $400. Am I going to be correct in assuming you're going to get a better deal on a completed upper as opposed to piece by piece? Is there more of an advantage other than maybe getting exactly what you want, but at the higher cost?

Up for sale is a nearly-new (60 factory rounds fired) Wilson Combat 18” 6.5 Grendel Stainless, fluted, recon tactical contour, 1-8 twist AR15 barrel. Muzzle threads are 5/8-24.
$275 shipped OBO
I went to Acme’s site. That upper would be a good deal if they can build you one. It looks like they start building when the order comes in. I’d call them first and ask if they have the components on hand before I ordered.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I went to Acme’s site. That upper would be a good deal if they can build you one. It looks like they start building when the order comes in. I’d call them first and ask if they have the components on hand before I ordered.
And if that price is still good.

rj ︈

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you're better of putting the extra money into a higher quality complete upper versus spending that money on a fancy trigger. Lots of guys shoot the hell out of milspec triggers. Fancy triggers are lots of fun but it isn't a priority in my opinion.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I think you're better of putting the extra money into a higher quality complete upper versus spending that money on a fancy trigger. Lots of guys shoot the hell out of milspec triggers. Fancy triggers are lots of fun but it isn't a priority in my opinion.
This is true. You can upgrade a trigger anytime down the road.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
This is true. You can upgrade a trigger anytime down the road.
It isn't an either/or proposition on the upper and trigger, the way I read the OP.

Yes, most any AR component can be upgraded anytime down the road.

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What made you choose 6.8spc over the 6.5grendel?
At the time I built mine there were more ammo options for 6.8, and there was a lot of talk of it being picked up by the military so figured there would be even more support for it. Turned out that never happened. They both perform similarly within 300 then past that the grendel shines and the 6.8 drops off quick. If I was building it today I would probably go with the grendel.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
It's been a year or two but when researching calibers for deer and hogs in the AR-15 platform, one reason the 6.8 stood out to me over the grendel was that it reached it's potential velocities(factory ammo) in a 16 inch barrel where as the grendel needed more barrel length.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. I have a few drop in triggers in a couple of my custom or precision rifles, but give me a set of JP Enhanced trigger springs for $12-15 and 15 min’s at my gun bench with a milspec trigger, and I can give you a smooth trigger that majority of people would be happy to have in their hunting rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom