17 Design Lower - Parts list planning ahead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so I posted on the other thread that I've never built an AR and will be looking for various ideas and input from those more experienced on finishing out their new 17 Design lowers we're getting on the group buy. As of now based on the initial research I've done here's what I'm thinking. Options are based on the idea that I will definitely be hunting with this new rifle also.

Caliber: 6.5 Grendel
It appears this popular AR caliber provides better performance than the standard 5.56/223 and close to the 6.8 SPC. 300 Blackout isn't an option based on what I plan on doing with the gun, mainly coyote and OK whitetail. Also, since I reload 6.5 I have a a good amount of bullets/powder already, just no brass.

Upper/Barrel Length
I'm still not sure whether to go with a completed upper or choose the barrel/parts separate. I've think I've decided to go with an 18" barrel, again based on what I plan to do with the rifle. Something like this is very tempting as opposed to purchasing individual parts: https://www.acmemachine.com/xml-feed-a-all/18-6-5-grendel-nitride-fluted-complete-upper/

Trigger
I'm still a bit undecided on this one. The problem being cost of many of them. Others have mentioned the LaRue Tactical MBT. At $80 it seems like a better option than the many, over $200, options. It also seems many of the kits to finish out the lower have triggers with them. Do most people work with them initially before upgrading?

Again, very curious to know what are the parts others are planning to use and also looking for input on the items I've "semi-decided" on above.

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally wouldn't order from Optics Planet. They're mainly a dropshipper from what I can tell.

I'd also suggest taking another look at .300AAC - plenty of gun for any game in OK. Coyotes, deer, hogs, etc. Unless you're going to be shooting out beyond 300 yards. Then a 6.5 would make more sense.

<edit> Ok, maybe not for elk out west... or bear.

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a lower parts kit minus the trigger and grip. I have JP single stage triggers, Geiselle, and milspec. The larue MBT trigger is supposed to be very similar to the geiselle and is about half the cost. I also like their scope mounts for my ARs. I would go with an 18” barrel if it was me. I went with a 20” on my 6.8spc coyote gun and wish it was a bit shorter and more maneuverable.

Last edited:

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally wouldn't order from Optics Planet. They're mainly a dropshipper from what I can tell.
I used Optics Planet a few years back and got a sweet deal on a Tikka T3 Forest in 260. It was $550 if I remember correctly and turned out to be quite the shooter. Had no issues and rifle was received quickly. Just my experience.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a lower parts kit minus the trigger and grip. I have JP single stage triggers, Geiselle, and milspec. The larue MBT trigger is supposed to be very similar to the geiselle and is about half the cost. I also like their scope mounts for my ARs. I would go with an 18” barrel if it was me. I went with a 20” on my 6.8spc coyote gun and wish it was a bit shorter and more maneuverable.
What made you choose 6.8spc over the 6.5grendel?

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see ad's such as the below. Then I see the highly rated complete upper as I posted above from Acme Machine for around $400. Am I going to be correct in assuming you're going to get a better deal on a completed upper as opposed to piece by piece? Is there more of an advantage other than maybe getting exactly what you want, but at the higher cost?

Up for sale is a nearly-new (60 factory rounds fired) Wilson Combat 18” 6.5 Grendel Stainless, fluted, recon tactical contour, 1-8 twist AR15 barrel. Muzzle threads are 5/8-24.
$275 shipped OBO

Latest posts

Top Bottom