1911=39-2 s&w?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got a s&w 39-2 9mm of my father n law. It is a really nice looking gun. I'll find out how it shoots tomorrow. But here is my question, what makes a 1911 what it is and is the 39-2 counted as a 1911 desighn?

I aslo picked up a browning bda 380 from him as well.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A 1911 is particular model of a semi-automatic pistol. Your smith is another model of a semi-auto.
They both use single stack magazines, but thats about it as far as similarity.
The 1911 is a single action pistol, while the 39 is a DA pistol.
1911's are pretty much the archetype semiauto, and so many other pistols can look similar in apperance at first.
It has more in common with another of Browning's pistols, the hi-power.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only way I can see them being classed as the same design is they both use the short recoil method to keep the breech locked. That is the barrel and slide move backward for a short distance as a single unit as the bullet exits the barrel, the the barrel tilts down, unlocks from the slide and the slide continues to the rear independent of the barrel.

Who told you the 39 was of 1911 design?

midnight

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No body. It just had the same look. I am new to the handgun world when it comes to the diffrent models. I just was wondering what made the 1911 what it is. I searched the net and all I could really find about the 1911 was it's history. Not what made it what it is. And they look close to the same gun. The only real thing I could find was grip safety. But I didn't even think about the action.

Just a newbie to the hobby asking a dumn question.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No body. It just had the same look. I am new to the handgun world when it comes to the diffrent models. I just was wondering what made the 1911 what it is. I searched the net and all I could really find about the 1911 was it's history. Not what made it what it is. And they look close to the same gun. The only real thing I could find was grip safety. But I didn't even think about the action.

Just a newbie to the hobby asking a dumn question.

There is no such thing as a dumb question. How will you ever learn anything if you don't ask. Just keep reading in the handgun/rifle general discussions and you will learn a lot. Welcome to the forum brother.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's like comparing car models. They might look alike but they function completely different ways. The main difference being the 1911 is like a Shelby Cobra kit car, so many manufacturers make it but it's still a 1911.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for starters... other than being semi automatics the SW 39 and Browning 1911 have hardly any mechanical likeness to each other.
Browning uses a swinging toggle link to marry the barrel to the frame and lock the breech ... SW uses a sliding ramp (sorta reminds me of the Berretta 92) to do this function. I have never messed with a German Wather P 38... but from what I read- that pistols design was borrowed from when SW engineered the 39 back in the 1950's.

Operationally... the 39-2 is a double action/single action design... 1911's have are single action. On the 1911 one must rack the slide to cock the actions... pulling the trigger drops the hammer.

After a round is chambered in a 39.. the safety-decocking lever offers some choices... you can throw that lever to a mid stroke detent and carry the hammer "cocked and locked" (and fire with a "single action" trigger press) or "de-cock the hammer" and the pistol will fire in double action mode after the lever is pushed forward (fire) and trigger is pulled. Any subsequent shots will be fired "single action", as the slide will reload the chamber and cock the hammer.

Many shooter never cared for the DA/SA systems as the trigger feel is very hard to manage... first shot has a long and heavy pull... second shot has a short trigger... and you have to work the decocker (with "choices as far as mode goes) to get the thing back in a holster safely.

I have owned both... and carried both over the years. It's a lot simpler learning a DAO or safe action pistol... or simply sticking with a "cocked and locked" platform once you find your preference.

midnight

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
^ Thank you sir. I carry my LCP about 90% of the time. I am very accurate with it. And with these 2 I don't think I would care as much. My wife really likes the feel of the BDA 380 and may keep it in her purse. She is pretty on point with it at the rang also. But when she shoots my Elsie its like Ray Charles is shooting. Go figure.

Thanks for the info guys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom