1911 45acp Deer Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wounds at service pistol velocities dont really have much shock effect, its mostly a hole punch. Look for one that expands, but penetrates 18” or so. ( maybe an xtp) what is “ overpenetration for social work pretty much guarantees an exit on deer. Plan on “ bow range” shots, expect him to run 50-100 yds, thus the desire for an exit and trackable blood.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve killed two with .45 acp. Both under 20 yards.
Used 180 grain +P hollow points.
Interesting results. The first ran about 5 yards, stood there for what seemed like an eternity and collapsed. I could see the hole, but not much blood loss in my view because I was in a tall stand with the shot going in high on my side and exiting low on the other.
The second was a shot from the same stand in the same lung region as the first, but the doe just fell over in place and quivered until expired.
As previously referenced, placement is more critical with handguns.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot 1 with my HI-Point 45 pistol with 230gr FMJ round nose just 45 paces.
Bang flop in the neck dropped where she stood.
Not the best choice of bullet probably but like others stated shot placement.

I had shot hundreds of rounds from 10 feet to 130 yards and many distances inbetween.
Shot placement.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't shot one in a hunting situation with a .45 act yet, but I shot 2 last year with my 10mm and have shot a buck in the past with a .40 S&W. I have also killed deer with a .44 mag. All except the .44 were duty hollow points. I would say any hollow point for the .45 would work fine. Again, bullet placement is key and I would expect a certain amount of trailing with little to no blood.

Latest posts

Top Bottom