1911 Bobtail housing install with pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok. Started with a used Springfield GI 1911. Planning on adding an Ed Brown Bobtail, Beavertail and other assorted doodads... Mostly just to see if I can do it. The first part was today. I completely disassembled the frame and drilled the new bobtail mainspring housing hole. So far, I'm smiling the smile of a guy who messed with his gun and didn't %$&# it up. Started filing it down, realized it's about 600 degrees in my garage and I didn't want to rush it. So...it's a work in progress.

First pic is the gun, as it started. Second pic shows the Ed Brown Jig set up in the drill press. Final two pics show the new bobtail installed and what will need to be filed off and blended. Don't mind the light corrosion under where the grips normally reside. The whole gun will be refinished when I'm done farting around...

bob
IMG_3281.JPG

IMG_3289.JPG
IMG_3291.JPG
IMG_3292.JPG

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure about under the trigger guard. We will see how the MSH and the beavertail go. Don't see a need for a grip reduction. 1911s fit me like a glove. :)

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you know if these kits will work on a Kimber Ultra Carry ?
It isn't really a kit. It's on the far side of DIY. I'm just winging it, reading up on it and going slow. That said, any full size 1911 should be able to have a bobtail added to it. Makes concealment a wee bit easier. I think the grip on the Ultra Carry is too short. You'd have to do a bit more research or bring it to a 'smith.

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update... Belt sander makes quick work of the metal. Still needs final fitting, but we're getting there. I also started on the beavertail, but don't have pics yet. The beavertail is shaping up to be the more difficult of the mods. Lots more to shape/fit and not much room for clearances.
IMG_3295.JPG
IMG_3296.JPG

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you using a set of bobtail grips as a guide while you shape and blend the frame?
No. I'll make bobtail grips out of the original grips once I'm done. A little shaping and some boiled linseed oil should fix them right up. The shaping and blending of the frame is dictated by the new MSH, the new and old MSH pin hole (you can barely see the remnants of the original MSH hole that needs to be worked a bit more, and aesthetics (at least as far as this uneducated "gunsmith" is concerned). As long as I don't dork up the new MSH, stay away from the new MSH pin/hole, and done eat into the mag well, I should be ok.

Latest posts

Top Bottom