1911 Bobtail housing install with pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I forgot to take "before" pics, but if you go back to the first page, you should be able to get the idea. I used the beavertail jig to get my roughly where I needed to be. Still a LOT of fitting left to go, but at least the beavertail "fits". In addition to grinding down the frame, I also had to grind the beavertail to fit in the frame. It's in, but I can't get the safety in just yet, so it is just mocked up. The beavertail is a lot more work, and there isn't as much room to work. Sandpaper is helping a bit. I don't have a complete set of files, so I'm making do with what I have. All the parts and jigs are from Ed Brown. This isn't a cheap project by any means, but it's fun, and I'm learning...so...who cares?
IMG_3299.JPG
IMG_3298.JPG
IMG_3297.JPG
:)

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get yourself a some rolls of various grades of Norton abrasive paper, I think 120, 220, 320 should get you pretty far. And then figure out if you want to contour the beaver tail with the frame in the up position or in the down position.

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get yourself a some rolls of various grades of Norton abrasive paper, I think 120, 220, 320 should get you pretty far. And then figure out if you want to contour the beaver tail with the frame in the up position or in the down position.
I've got sandpaper for days. Many brands, grits and types of abrasive (from woodworking) Seems to work good for some of the shaping. As far as contouring up vs. down, I'm thinking I would prefer it to be contoured when the safety is "on" or not depressed. Unless somebody can make a case for doing it the other way...

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's best to contour with the grip safety in the position it is in while you are gripping the frame. After all you want it to feel the best when you are shooting it. Same goes for contouring the thumb safety which you should do along with contouring the grip safety.

Latest posts

Top Bottom