1911 buffers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know they were not on early 1911's. I bought a used Colt 1911 and yesterday during disassembly the one on it crumbled. Thought about ordering a new one but seems like mixed results on them.
I never had problems with this pistol .
What is your experience with buffets?

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I use them mainly for wear and tear mitigation. That's it. Especially on the lower quality guns like older Auto and Federal Ordnance, RIA/Armscorp guns and the Turk guns. Anything that wears prematurely IMO. It's prolly just a feel good but whatever.

I have never had one not work because of a buffer.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be glad it disintegrated. Throw it away. Don't look for a new one. They're a gimmick in my opinion.

I've bought 2 or 3 1911s that "didn't work" for serious chump change. Took them home, removed that stupid buffer and they worked fine.
This

I think the idea is to stop battering of the contact areas where the slide, guide rod and frame all meet inside. Using the correct recoil spring is the way to go. However thick the particular buffer is you’re using you’ve automatically reduced slide travel that same amount. Some firearms were designed to run with these installed from the factory the 1911 was not.
They should never be used in any 1911 that is being used for game time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom