1911 "complete" disassembly ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I normally fire my 1911's between 100 to 150 times each time I go to the range and I "always" do a basic field strip and clean as soon as I get back before putting them up.

Up front I'll admit to not being all that mechanically inclined nor am I all that patient (especially with myself) and to be honest I find the prospect of doing a complete disassembly, clean and reassemble intimidating......I don't want to be one of those guys that brings his gun into a gun shop in a paper sack because he couldn't get it back together. :)

Round wise how often is a total disassembly and cleaning needed for a 1911 ?

1911 disassembly.jpg

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s never “necessary” unless something breaks or something causes internal corrosion. You can flush the gun with cleaners and then re-lubricate through the areas you can reach through openings.

I think it’s a good idea to do a full disassembly and clean once in a while, just to get some of the stubborn gunk out, check for corrosion and make sure everything is in good condition. I’d say if you need to replace the recoil spring it’s a good time to do a detail strip.

It’s really not all that difficult to do. The hardest part is making sure all the fire control components are in the right position when removing and replacing the thumb safety, especially if it has a Series 80 safety as the one you posted does. There are plenty of YouTube videos that show it step by step.

I’m sure there’s probably a member somewhere near you that would be willing to show you how to do it. Once you see it done, it’s kind of an “ah-ha” moment and all the mystery is gone.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be interested in a 1911 disassembly class around the city metro if someone were to put it on.

Ya better get it going in a timely fashion, it won't be long before ya don't have the "rights" to assemble with others of like type.. If you only need it disassembled, bring it here.. I'll send ya home with all the pieces and maybe a spring or 2 more just to make life more interesting..:ugh2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom