1911 concealed, safety on or off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hworth18

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I usually carry a P320 but recently picked up a SA 1911 in 9mm. I carry one in the chamber, cocked and locked and have a owb holster. I usually wear a long, untucked shirt as concealment. Is the 1911 something I need to worry about without the safety on? Or is it like any other poly gun? I really don’t like the safety on.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I usually carry a P320 but recently picked up a SA 1911 in 9mm. I carry one in the chamber, cocked and locked and have a owb holster. I usually wear a long, untucked shirt as concealment. Is the 1911 something I need to worry about without the safety on? Or is it like any other poly gun? I really don’t like the safety on.

Yes, if you have one in the chamber and the safety is off, you are courting disaster. The trigger on a 1911 is a lot lighter than most poly guns. You are a tiny step away from an ND if you carry loaded, one in the chamber, and safety OFF. The 1911 is meant to be carried in condition one, one in the chamber and safety ON. If that is not your thing, consider selling the 1911 and going to either a striker fired or DA/SA pistol for carry.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cocked and locked means hammer cocked, safety on.

Practice the draw with an empty weapon and a snap cap in, and you can get good at swiping off the safety as you bring the weapon up. Or you can carry hammer down but you have to practice cocking at the same point. Coming up to horizontal and the muzzle is away from your body. At least that is how I was taught. Probably has changed since then.

Hworth18

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, if you have one in the chamber and the safety is off, you are courting disaster. The trigger on a 1911 is a lot lighter than most poly guns. You are a tiny step away from an ND if you carry loaded, one in the chamber, and safety OFF. The 1911 is meant to be carried in condition one, one in the chamber and safety ON. If that is not your thing, consider selling the 1911 and going to either a striker fired or DA/SA pistol for carry.
When I carry the 1911, I have been carrying with the safety on, just wondered if I could carry with it off. I'm not very familiar with the 1911 frame so I have to get used to it. It looks like i'll be doing more draw practice to get that safety off in one draw movement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom