1911 Double Fire!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, against the advice of everyone at the table, my buddy purchased a Para 1911 on armslist. Took it out to the range, after a few mags, it experienced a double fire. Never had a full blown runaway, but it was worrisome.

Took it apart today. Didn't strip the bolt/slide, but pulled the complete frame apart. Sear, hammer, disconnect all look factory fresh and original. Doesn't seem to have a poor attempted trigger job or home-grown polish on it.

Popped it all into the ultrasonic for a cycle, cleaned, lubed, reassembled. Went out back and loaded up a few two round mags. Shot 60 rounds that way just fine. Loaded a few quads and same, just fine. Popped in a full mag, got a double halfway through. I'm stumped. Recommended he get it to a local smiths before banging it again.

Ever experienced that?

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, against the advice of everyone at the table, my buddy purchased a Para 1911 on armslist. Took it out to the range, after a few mags, it experienced a double fire. Never had a full blown runaway, but it was worrisome.

Took it apart today. Didn't strip the bolt/slide, but pulled the complete frame apart. Sear, hammer, disconnect all look factory fresh and original. Doesn't seem to have a poor attempted trigger job or home-grown polish on it.

Popped it all into the ultrasonic for a cycle, cleaned, lubed, reassembled. Went out back and loaded up a few two round mags. Shot 60 rounds that way just fine. Loaded a few quads and same, just fine. Popped in a full mag, got a double halfway through. I'm stumped. Recommended he get it to a local smiths before banging it again.

Ever experienced that?
Not good.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ouch. Make sure you are using a reliable, quality mag, a Wilson 47 series or a Tripp is generally considered as such. And put in a new, stock recoil spring and firing pin spring. Wolff makes the best. I'd also check the trigger's weight and if it's light, less than say...4 lbs...suspect the sear spring has been tampered with too. Some will bend the legs in order to "lighten the trigger" and that can lead to trouble. Mags and springs run the gun. If all this doesn't cure it, then yeah, take it to somebody who knows what they are doing. Can't help you as far as recommending a decent smith in the Lawton area. Good luck.

Oh, and I don't think I'd be using this as a carry gun just yet...

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dose it have an over travel screw in the trigger? If so it may need to be turned counter clockwise a 1/2 turn or more.
I've seen this before on 1911s people screw it in too far. Fires like a double fire but is actually a double tap because the over travel screw is screwed in too far.
I would also suggest replacing the sear spring.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a handful of smiths in Lawton, but they mostly long distance build rifles. I think he's gonna drop it off at Murf's in Duncan.

I suspect it's either the aftermarket recoil spring or the mainspring. I've never felt a mainspring that stiff in a 1911. can't wait to hear what it is from the smith.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ouch. Make sure you are using a reliable, quality mag, a Wilson 47 series or a Tripp is generally considered as such. And put in a new, stock recoil spring and firing pin spring. Wolff makes the best. I'd also check the trigger's weight and if it's light, less than say...4 lbs...suspect the sear spring has been tampered with too. Some will bend the legs in order to "lighten the trigger" and that can lead to trouble. Mags and springs run the gun. If all this doesn't cure it, then yeah, take it to somebody who knows what they are doing. Can't help you as far as recommending a decent smith in the Lawton area. Good luck.

Oh, and I don't think I'd be using this as a carry gun just yet...
I’d recommend John Axe. He runs the gun RX. He is a 1911 builder and has done work on mine. He is the last and probably most experienced 1911 smith in the town. The other two old smiths have already passed by a decade or more. John is a good guy. His place is a lil messy and he is a lil slow but don’t let that fool you. I use to hang out and BS with him all the time I could when I lived there. Great guy and a great Smith.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
with regards to the mod up there, its not a mag issue, nor a recoil spring one, however, fp spring and fp channel should be inspected.

these are the #1 and 2 things to check out
Dose it have an over travel screw in the trigger? If so it may need to be turned counter clockwise a 1/2 turn or more.
I've seen this before on 1911s people screw it in too far. Fires like a double fire but is actually a double tap because the over travel screw is screwed in too far.
I would also suggest replacing the sear spring.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I must concede to gunbuffer; he knows more than I do about these so ...yeah.
your point on the firing pin was very relevant. a stuck pin or debris, etc, could cause a slam fire. its most likely a trigger overtravel stop or wonky sear spring though. if its a hi cap para, they have a differen non 1911 sear spring in some cases