1911 For My Father

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father likes the idea of having a 1911, but has never fired one and I'm not that familiar with what is available. His stepson has exchange privileges at Tinker and has recommended a $1200 one but my father did not say which one that is. My suggestion was for him to rent one we looked at the last time we shot at Wilshire, the next time we go. He can see if he even wants one at a spry 78. The question I have for all of you is what do you recommend in the way of 1911s, for a casual user? The looking I have done has shown me everything from $400 Turkish imports to the multi thousand dollar commemorative editions. Consider something around the $1200 limit as budget.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will catch flak for this but consider getting one in 9mm.
IMO they are a lot more fun to shoot (on both wallet and hand) than the .45 ACP.
(I guess I'm un-American!)
Though I’m not really a fan of 9mm 1911’s for myself and given the age of the OP’s Dad, I agree with your suggestion.
My suggestion for a gun to look into would be a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm. I’ve had one in 45 when they first came out, and it was a well built gun that was reasonably priced.

Johnwj

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bill Wilson, Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers all recommend 1911 in 9mm now days. Works well for my 70 year young hands.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Grip is fair but he isn't as steady as he used to be. That being said, he's a pretty healthy 78. This is why I want him to rent one and he agrees with me.
There is an Eat and shoot in the making , bring your Dad to that and we can provide all sorts of weapons for him to try .

Latest posts

Top Bottom