1911 full length guide rods ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattman5000e

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They also put a little bit more weight right where it counts... a little bit more if they are tungsten flavored. This can noticeably change the recoil pulse for the better.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine came with FLGRs also and swapped 'em to flatwire springs with USGI length guide rods.

"The 1911 is its own toolbox"...extra tools for theoretical improvements that now require extra steps and now tools to disassemble is not for me.

"Thou shall tamper not with the timeless 1911 design of JMB, lest ye also be a firearms design genius"

Unknown

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got my S & W 1911E yesterday and after taking it apart and putting it back together I've already determined that I'm not all that crazy about FLGR's and I want to convert it to the original design / G.I. guide rod system.......just guessing but I suppose I'm going to need a new spring, plug and short guide rod for the conversion, correct ?

Who is the best outfit to call to get the correct parts I need ?......assuming that I get someone knowledgeable on the phone if I just give them the make and model number 1911 I have will they know exactly what to send me for my gun ?

Last edited:

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got my S & W 1911E yesterday and after taking it apart and putting it back together I've already determined that I'm not all that crazy about FLGR's and I want to convert it to the original design / G.I. guide rod system.......just guessing but I suppose I'm going to need a new spring, plug and short guide rod for the conversion, correct ?

Who is the best outfit to call to get the correct parts I need ?......assuming that I get someone knowledgeable on the phone if I just give them the make and model number 1911 I have will they know exactly what to send me for my gun ?
They sometimes benefit from getting fitted by someone who knows potential issues with just throwing stuff in. In lieu of that, I would call up sw and tell them exactly what you want to do. They may make a model nowadays w a gi setup.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to try and work through my dislike of the FLGR for awhile and see how it goes......it may just be a "teaching old dogs new tricks" thing.

grizzlywinmag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's a standard government model you can use parts for 5" 1911/A1. Check Brownell's and Midway USA for spring, plug and bushing. I will always replace FLGR with std. parts. FLGR has always been an answer to a non existent problem.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom