1911 Grip Safety Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnished

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The mag release does move freely. I replaced the spring with a lower power one from a Wolffe spring kit as the original caused the magazine to bind on insertion and had an especially stiff mag release
A picture of the grip safety would help. You can also use a hammer to peen the leg of the grip safety that blocks the trigger bow’s rearward travel. It might give you enough material to make the grip safety function again. Otherwise just get yourself a new grip safety.

A grip safety can be tuned to function properly without the need for pinning or rubber bands.

Edit: It also looks like your magazine release isn’t fit properly to the frame. Try removing the magazine release from the frame and taking out the catch lock. Then place the magazine release without the spring and lock back into the frame and check that it moves freely in the frame. If it doesn’t you may need to remove material from the magazine catch until it will move smoothly without the frame.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The mag release does move freely. I replaced the spring with a lower power one from a Wolffe spring kit as the original caused the magazine to bind on insertion and had an especially stiff mag release

Then it’s possible you have a different problem. The right side of magazine catch should be flush with the frame with a magazine fully inserted. From your picture the catch is sitting proud of the right side of the frame with the magazine inserted.

Finnished

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then it’s possible you have a different problem. The right side of magazine catch should be flush with the frame with a magazine fully inserted. From your picture the catch is sitting proud of the right side of the frame with the magazine inserted.
It's pretty flush. Not perfect, but close. Possibly the depth of cut on the slide compared to the thickness of the mag release retaining pin. I wouldnt be surprised if there is slop on these parts. Its a Frankenstein of likely old USGI parts and whatever else my uncle could find cheap. The issue starts when the mag is inserted. It is likely putting pressure on the trigger bow and with it the mag release. I'll be getting a new mag at some point. Below is no mag followed by pic of mag inserted
20211229_210355.jpg
20211229_210547.jpg

Finnished

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I think I found the solution to my problem. The sear has been modified to adjust length of pull on the trigger. Not sure how I failed to notice this on my first sweep but the moment that the trigger moves a fraction of an inch the hammer drops. The grip safety doesn't even have a chance to prevent travel because travel is instant

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The sear is only going to move when the trigger starts to move. The grip safety should prevent any movement of the trigger bow while the safety isn’t being depressed.

Do you have a micrometer or set of feeler gauges? You should check the hammer hooks to make sure they aren’t too short.

Last edited:

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I think I found the solution to my problem. The sear has been modified to adjust length of pull on the trigger. Not sure how I failed to notice this on my first sweep but the moment that the trigger moves a fraction of an inch the hammer drops. The grip safety doesn't even have a chance to prevent travel because travel is instant
😳😬

Latest posts

Top Bottom