1911 grips aging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUDMAN-BILL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Need some advice, found me a 1911a1 but needs a set of grips. I think I want to go with the wwii style, brown plastic. Before I drop some $$$ on a set of used grips, what would be the process of aging a new set. Keep in mind that it’s going to be a retro not original military 1911, just display

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I “aged” some cheap plastic grips on a .22 revolver. They were originally black grips with an American flag decal. I sanded the grips and then applied a flat black paint. Sanded lightly again and applied a white satin paint. Sanded lightly again and blended the paint. I applied a spray clear protective sealer when I was done. I spent about an hour on the project. I was attempting to make them look like stag grips, and I was happy enough with the results. If I was going for a display piece, I would have spent more time with attention to detail, but I was happy enough for a cheap .22.

192ECF8F-B015-491B-855B-B704DC3BE014.jpeg

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I “aged” some cheap plastic grips on a .22 revolver. They were originally black grips with an American flag decal. I sanded the grips and then applied a flat black paint. Sanded lightly again and applied a white satin paint. Sanded lightly again and blended the paint. I applied a spray clear protective sealer when I was done. I spent about an hour on the project. I was attempting to make them look like stag grips, and I was happy enough with the results. If I was going for a display piece, I would have spent more time with attention to detail, but I was happy enough for a cheap .22.

View attachment 311772

Looks great!

Latest posts

Top Bottom