1911 guru's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
OK gents, Have a question . I bought an ATI 1911 and have run several thousand rounds through it and the more I shoot it the better it feels.
Now here is the question, why buy a new gun and start changing out all the internals before there is a problem? I read about time and time again.
Other than a factory mag issue my pistol is smooth and accurate as I can shoot.
Is there a reason these folks do this or is it just wants and not needs ?

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So here is my .02 cents for what it's worth. A lot of 1911 guys have "things" they require on any 1911 they are going to shoot or carry. The list can get long, but here are a few "things" that get changed out frequently. Barrels and bushings for real or perceived accuracy, hand grips for feel or customization, triggers for feel or looks, hammer for lightness and looks, extended slide release, ambi safety, extended thumb safety, and the list can go on and on and on. The 1911 is like the AR of today, there are a million parts to add some for the cool factor and some for added comfort or better feel/usability. If it ain't broke don't fix it, but ya can always jazz it up a bit.

operator742

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it ain't broke don't worry about it. New grips can set it apart and make it yours. The problem now days is information overload. I remember reading a article by Patrick Sweeney, in it he was reviewing a para gi expert he stated that if para had produced that gun with that quality of work in the 80's they would have ran Colt out of business. But when you get on s gun forum you will get a bunch say it's no good the finish isn't durable, made with mim ppl parts and on and on. Now I'm not that smart but I bet there are a whole lot of middle of the road 1911 that are a whole lot better then what our grandfather's had in ww2. So if you like it and it shots ever time spend your money on quality magazines and ammo.

Last edited:

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 1911's of today are so far ahead of the past, there's no question to that. Right now you can buy a Colt that has all the add on's for under $1000. If you bought this gun 30 yrs ago and had a gun smith do the work it would have cost $1500 plus the cost of the gun. IMO people watch these video's of pro shooters or here's the big one MOVIES and think they have to have it on their gun. You have everyday people caring 3 guns and 60 rounds of ammo, and this is their EDC. there's no need for this. Sorry for the rant. Back to your question, no there is no need. What I require for a carry in a 1911 is first and foremost reliability, nice sites for my old eyes. Now what I want is the 2 things I've said, LW Commander and prefer it being worked over by a master gunsmith, but that's just me.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now remember I have shot that ATI 1911 of yours and there is nothing wrong with it; nothing at all. It shot just fine. Good mags and lots of ammo as mentioned above; that's where I'd put my money on that thing. Grips....of course! I am a sucker for fancy or unique grips. That gun is fine for what it is.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of it stems from reading too much or hearing too much about the "unreliability" of 1911s. Some of it is because the gun is adaptable to different uses, users and styles. It a gun that lends itself well to customization.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it ain't broke don't worry about it.
The problem now days is information overload.
This covers so many areas that it's not even funny anymore...
www.dutchforce.com__eforum_html_emoticons_dry.gif

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today, with all the different models of 1911 out there, a user should be able to buy what they want, with all the features (saving grips) already on it. Most everyone has their own taste in 1911 grips and will swap factory originals out.

If you have to go changing out a bunch of parts (barrels, bushings, etc) immediately you bought the wrong 1911 and are afixin' to drop a bunch of cash unnecessarily.