1911 Main Spring Housings - How To

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ever struggle to take the mainspring housing apart on your 1911 so you can occasionally clean it out; maybe replace the mainspring itself? Well, I have...and then there you are, crawling around on your hands and knees in search of small parts...

I found this info on a 1911 site long ago and thought I'd share:

1. Take a piece of old 2X4, maybe 6-8"; long and drive a finishing nail in the middle of it, leaving about an inch sticking out.
2. Now just push the mainspring housing down on the end of the nail and using a straightened-out paperclip, ease that little retaining pin out, then slowly let up on the MSH and voila!

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It sounds like you don't automatically use eye protection when you work with tools like I do. And you should wear glasses, especially when you shoot and use that crappy ammo

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It sounds like you don't automatically use eye protection when you work with tools like I do. And you should wear glasses, especially when you shoot and use that crappy ammo

I do wear glasses, but it's because I need them to see. Maybe I can listen and learn some more neat things from you now that I have learned that I am a hazard to my own self and I shoot crappy ammo.

okeydoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just clamp the msh in a vise, use a punch to depress the spring while you press out the retaining pin with another punch. Sometimes, if you leave the front of the MSH pointed down, the retainer pin will just fall out. So I clamp the msh vertically in the vise.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh now I'm so confused! Should I do it MY way? Put the MSH in a vice? Put the punch in a vise? Punch the vise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okeydoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done it on my thigh, many a time. Just push in the plunger with something, with the base of the msh on my thigh. normally the retainer pin will just fall out once you remove the spring tension that's bearing on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom