1911 paint options and Thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spider-Monkey717

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
All,

I wanted your thoughts on what to coat/paint my custom 1911 build (7in longslide). Most shops around the OKC area do Cerakote. I cannot seem to find anyone doing bluing or case coloring (Divarty customs seems closed). Other than black/Melonite what does everyone thinks for a unique coloring that isn’t tacky. I did find some color shift paint but unsure what people like/think. I understand it’s my build and I can do what I want but I also want it to look good as well. Thoughts?
6819F267-A52B-4590-85FE-507C2F934866.jpeg

Spider-Monkey717

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I was going to do the "color shift" route, I'd get my purse painted the same way.

Seriously though, what are you looking for? They can do just about anything in cerakote now...
Unsure, which isn't the most helpful. I am fine with a nice black. Would love case coloring but I know it’s $$$. I just wanted something that was unique that people don’t see a lot but wasn’t super tacky looking, and if it can be done here locally.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unsure, which isn't the most helpful. I am fine with a nice black. Would love case coloring but I know it’s $$$. I just wanted something that was unique that people don’t see a lot but wasn’t super tacky looking, and if it can be done here locally.

Case coloring for a 7in 1911 will be quite spendy for sure. Cerakote is probably your best bet, you can go here for ideas....

https://www.cerakote.com/project-gallery?color=cera_blue&htids=1911&tab=newest&orderby=newest
Not sure who does good work here in Oklahoma though.

Otherwise you're looking at HC or Nitride.

Spider-Monkey717

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

red442joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7in slide from fusion firearms
WOW! You actually got one from them!
I was looking through a multi-year thread from a guy trying to get one; I called them early 2021 ish and they said none available but they might make some by the end of the year, or not, or maybe next year, or maybe dunno....
I finally bought a couple blanks from Sarco, intending to weld up my own 7".

Joe

Spider-Monkey717

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW! You actually got one from them!
I was looking through a multi-year thread from a guy trying to get one; I called them early 2021 ish and they said none available but they might make some by the end of the year, or not, or maybe next year, or maybe dunno....
I finally bought a couple blanks from Sarco, intending to weld up my own 7".

Joe
So it’s being made, I paid for it back on Sept when the re-opened orders for a hot minute. I’m supposed to have it in hand by the end of this year. I have been waiting to build this for over a decade and once I stumbled upon FF I have been following them ever since always asking when they will be made, and it seems 2022 was the year. Try calling them, they said they still take over the phone orders.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I'd color case harden the frame Turnbull style, and royal blue (fire blue) the slide and external parts (if it's not gonna get shot). Or CCH the frame and do a salt blue or something if you're gonna shoot it.

If it's gonna be something that is getting used and wore out, then I'd do what @JD8 says and get it Cerakoted with whatever color scheme you dig.

Latest posts

Top Bottom