1911 Pistols: Colt v Springfield Armory

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crazy to think that Gaston and Browning’s creations creates such animosity!
Dare I say that a Cummins Diesel Engine is far, far, far superior to the Ford and Chevy Diesel Engines! LOL! And don’t even get me going on about Sig’s!

33619106-C7DF-481E-BC7A-15788F1D3134.jpeg

Last edited:

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow... I get that you're a huge Glock fanboy but those are pretty bold claims (and very questionable in my opinion). You're assuming Glocks are better. I don't buy that at all. Like I said...good gun. I've carried them on duty and off, I've carried them as an EDC gun, and owned at least one for 3 decades now. But better than a 1911 or some of the other top handguns? Nope...not buying that at all.

And this statement:

...just doesn't make sense. The 1911 "...existed until something better was invented"? The 1911 is still going strong. It still "exists"...and quite prominently in the gun culture. It's manufactured by more companies than ever before in more varieties and configurations than ever before. 1911 models are still being made because they work...and they work well. Is there some romance and nostalgia involved in some way? Sure...I'd say to a small degree. But that's not what keeps the model going. That's just a silly thing to say when those guns are used by so many people in many capacities...professional, competition, recreational, etc... They're even still used by some military units.

When Glocks have been continuously made for over 110 years, and at that point are still being made in huge numbers by a variety of manufacturers, we'll talk again.

Until then, well...there's not much else to say.
Well Said! Im upgrading a 1911C and also turning a G 34 into a race gun. The 1911's are a engineering marvel and its so great to take something like this and turn it into a masterpiece and there is nothing that matches the natural feel that a 1911. The Glock on the other hand is pretty much polymer and stamped steel with a Stainless Barrel (polygonal bbl) that you cant shoot lead bullets with and steel pins. To tighten up a Glock you have to peen the slide and compound it out. Then install a gunsmith fit bbl, not a drop in! A 1911 you have many options and end up with beautiful buttery slide to frame that feels like is floating at perfection. To get a 3.5 (or less) trigger pull on a 1911 is pretty effortless and has a (breaks like glass) trigger pull with easily adjustable pre-travel and over travel. The Glock on the other hand gets into a incredibly dangerous situation with stamped steel sear engagement teetering on a stamped steel connector that has the engagement angle altered at the verge that a slight bump would allow the sear to drop, just to get a marginal trigger at 3.5 lbs that still has some creep and overtravel. If you adjust it out with the modifications or spend several hundred for a adjustable trigger, then you have gone out of the liability and warranty of the Glock that I would be afraid to holster! The two guns both have a value in our world and I have owned several of each (well maybe a lot more 1911's) because they are just a better gun. Glocks rebuilds are kind of like putting lipstick on a pig! But if they are actually left stock out of the box you have a gun that you can put a lot of rounds through and it still goes bang. Just my two cents worth of many years of sending lead down range.

Last edited:

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All my years as a police officer I carried one pistol right up till the day I retired. I shot it on a weekly basis and requals once a year (Back in the day you had to requal with your pistol from 50 yards. Now days it's from 25 yards) I got the Top Gun award several times with that pistol, it was always accurate and 100% reliable. That pistol like myself is retired now. It has earned the rest and lives out its days in the safe but I know if I need it to protect myself or others it is more than capable of coming out of retirement and doing it all over again. I have another pistol that I carry on a daily basis now when ever I go out, same type of pistol.
The pistol that I'm referring to in my years of being a police officer is a 1911/Wilson Combat CQB.
The pistol I carry today when I go out, a colt 1911, accurate and has been 100% reliable.
So yes there are 1911 Pistols that are 100% Reliable just like Glocks.
I purchased my first Colt LW Commander in 1953. It was love at first sight. My Colt at the time of that purchase was a Colt 1911 made in 1918 and was presented to me by my uncle when I was thirteen. Big difference at the time was the weight. The LW Commander felt like a feather in my hand. Nice. I carried the LW Commander for the best part of 60 years and do so every now and then. I transitioned to a Stainless Colt Officers series '80 which is still my EDC however there is a new kid on the block, a new two tone Ruger LW Commander. I Couldn't pass up a trade+ some cash for the Ruger against my Kimber Ultra CDP which even after 500+ rounds just didn't cut it and was languishing in the safe. I have a few Glocks which have been problem free and two Gen5 G17's which have become part of two Gen2 CAA Micro Conversion Kits. Even through all the years of something always supposedly being better than the 1911 all I can say is: "Ain't never gonna Happen"! The old girl just isn't going to go away anyway too soon!

Last edited:

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please, they are good shooters but we’re never mainstream. The 1911 didn’t take over the world. I know they are an historic piece but the .45 ACP never hit mainstream.

The Tommy gun gun is one as well, I have a couple Marines that we’re actually combat veterans and they don’t worship their 1911s, more trying to forget god rest one of them’s soul.

The auto loader never were considered here until the 80’s and I know most know this. The BG’s caused the changed as they started using them in the 70’s, Glock made the mainstream IMO, spin it all you want.

Lets let the Nam vets tell us how their 1911 saved em, I know there’s a few as their crappy M16’s failed, as they weren’t all that in the 60s either from those I know.

All of them are much improved IMO……..🤷‍♂️ I would rather have a German P38 as memorabilia from WWII….
My M16 jammed so I tried to hit a home run by hitting a tree with it. I used a Ithaca 37 in CQB along with my 1911. And don't let anyone try and tell you that 230 grain hardball don't cut it. That is BS. I double tapped a couple VC in CQB and down they went at 20-30 feet.

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of reminds me of someone comparing a Rembrandt painting to a Hunter Biden painting. Death Metal to Bach or Beethoven. Not every modern thing is better! Im still waiting to see the electric car that can refill in 5 mins and go further than 250 miles at more than 50 mph. We certainly dont want to forget the Covid Vaccine that has killed more people in the past 2 yrs than guns on the streets in gangland. NEW and MODERN is not always better. If the 1911 wasnt such a great design and pure mechanical engineering at its finest. Well....NOBODY would be buying them! You see lots of polymer guns that are ehh...OK! Even the younger generation loves 1911's after they have handled and shot a decent one. You can purchase a $30 barrel bushing from companies like EGW and have it cut with a relief to fit your slide and bbl to perfection. You can link it up or down for under $10 and end up with a really solid lock up. Peen the rails and compound the frame slide lock up and have a incredible smooth operation gun. Polish up the trigger and springs for the cost of a felt pad and some car polish. The ability to work on a $500 1911 and turn it into a masterpiece is only what you limit your self to. Most the Glock upgrades involve replacing or polishing trigger parts. You have to get a gunsmith fit bbl to get a decent lock up and you need to have a little experience with a Black Magic Marker and precision files to make it right. On the good side if you take off a little too much. Well then you have a pretty bbl that performs like the OE bbl you just replaced. But hey, you will look good!

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My M16 jammed so I tried to hit a home run by hitting a tree with it. I used a Ithaca 37 in CQB along with my 1911. And don't let anyone try and tell you that 230 grain hardball don't cut it. That is BS. I double tapped a couple VC in CQB and down they went at 20-30 feet.
Best I remember the USA are the Undefeated Champions of WWI and WWII. Hmm? Guess modern history doesnt show how many 1911's help liberate the Countries in Europe and around the World. There is a reason why the Marines, Swat teams and other High-profile military and LE prefer a 1911 in 45 ACP as their combat weapon! Countries and people with smaller builds and hands prefer a smaller recoil and think the 9MM is so great. Well fact of the matter is that after the Beretta 92S was put in service the government had to have the 9MM loads modified as the frames were cracking and the round was too hot! Results from trails were actually fraud from the results of using too hot of ammo to obtain the data. In real life it was a failure!

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of reminds me of someone comparing a Rembrandt painting to a Hunter Biden painting. Death Metal to Bach or Beethoven. Not every modern thing is better! Im still waiting to see the electric car that can refill in 5 mins and go further than 250 miles at more than 50 mph. If the 1911 wasnt such a great design and pure mechanical engineering at its finest. Well....NOBODY would be buying them! You see lots of polymer guns that are ehh...OK! Even the younger generation loves 1911's after they have handled and shot a decent one. You can purchase a $30 barrel bushing from companies like EGW and have it cut with a relief to fit your slide and bbl to perfection. You can link it up or down for under $10 and end up with a really solid lock up. Peen the rails and compound the frame slide lock up and have a incredible smooth operation gun. Polish up the trigger and springs for the cost of a felt pad and some car polish. The ability to work on a $500 1911 and turn it into a masterpiece is only what you limit your self to. Most the Glock upgrades involve replacing or polishing trigger parts. You have to get a gunsmith fit bbl to get a decent lock up and you need to have a little experience with a Black Magic Marker and precision files

Latest posts

Top Bottom