1911 Pistols: Colt v Springfield Armory

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Browning born after Gaston, a 1911 would not be in existence. A 1911 is an Antiquated Item that existed until something better was invented,,,, Period.

Man keeps the romance alive, not the performance.

It could very well happen to Glock or anything made by a human.
The only thing Glock has going for it over a 1911 is high cap mags! I think this is where its going? If you can't hit and put down a adversary with 16-17 rounds its time to get a 1911 and learn how to shoot and maybe only need one or two rounds to stop the bad guy

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those 1911(s) don’t have a 100 years of use and the ones that did get serious use were worn out. An accelerated use test or fielding of both would show that the 1911 won’t hang with a modern polymer gun.
How would it aaaa Hang? Define Hang?? Try both new out of the box each with (8) eight rounds in the each mag shooting same course. My Colt Stainless Officers has well over 20,000 rounds through it and can still shoot 1-1/2 groups at 25yards, not often but enough times to count. Well lets see 1911, Two World Wars, Korea and Vietnam and its still here. I have a couple Glocks one with around 10,000 rounds through it and no problems yet. So again define Hang?

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing Glock has going for it over a 1911 is high cap mags! I think this is where its going? If you can't hit and put down a adversary with 16-17 rounds its time to get a 1911 and learn how to shoot and maybe only need one or two rounds to stop the bad guy

Most people say they want hi capacity. I get it, better to have it and not need it.
But,
Most gunfights among civilians average 3.59 rounds per incident.
I carry a Colt 1911 with 8 rounds. And a spare mag/8 rounds.
So for the average I'm good.
I dont feel out gunned at all with my over 100 year old designed pistol.
It still works and I don't know of anyone that would want to be shot with this antiquated over 100 year old design piece of steel, you can correct me on that last part if I'm wrong and you want to volunteer , step up young man, this old man is patient.
View attachment 299160

LOL! This has now gone Full Circle! Chest Thumping up in the house! Men and their Ego’s!!

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread derailment may be as idiotic as when my son and nephew would argue over superhero fights. At least they were 8 years old, not adults. I take that back, they were more entertaining. (I like glocks and 1911s)

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned one, uno, single, less than two, odin 1911 Pistols. I was offered a smoking ass deal on it. Too good to pass up.

It was a Springfield Range Officer Operator 45ac. Stripped it down, cleaned and lubed. Took it out back and had way to many FF, FE, FL’s. Took it back in the Shop and stripped it, cleaned it, grossly lubed it and with a pair of leather gloves I set around watching the stupid tube in the evenings racking it, did this several evenings for couple weeks. All the while cleaning it and grossly lubing it. After that it was flawless, perfect in every form except round capacity. So I traded it for two Glocks.

One and only 1911 for me

I have owned one, uno, single, less than two, odin 1911 Pistols. I was offered a smoking ass deal on it. Too good to pass up.

It was a Springfield Range Officer Operator 45ac. Stripped it down, cleaned and lubed. Took it out back and had way to many FF, FE, FL’s. Took it back in the Shop and stripped it, cleaned it, grossly lubed it and with a pair of leather gloves I set around watching the stupid tube in the evenings racking it, did this several evenings for couple weeks. All the while cleaning it and grossly lubing it. After that it was flawless, perfect in every form except round capacity. So I traded it for two Glocks.

One and only 1911 for me.
Guess what? Wasn't a Colt. Tons of Colt clone 1911's out there. But a Colt is a Colt is a Colt! I have had many Colt 1911's. Had a few FTF FTL FTE's but always ammunition related. Still carry one today! I have had 1911's ever since my Dad gave me his Seventy four years ago when I was eleven. Only one I miss is my 1911 made in 1918. Kids are getting what's left. Only two kids are left that like firearms.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^ I dunno man...from all of these "double tapping VC in CQB", to "1-1/2" groups at 25 yards", I think this pride thing is starting to get laid on pretty thick around here.

Otherwise, I don't have any dog in this fight. I love a good 'this vs that' discussion, but we've devolved already to throwing crap like monkeys.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both companies have figured out their MIM parts game pretty well, better than 'MIMber' (Kimber) and Taurus at least. I rarely read about their internals suffering from breakages...and that says a lot with all the pistols both manufacturers have out there.

Both companies have an assembly process that puts out 1911s that are put together well enough to shoot better than 98% of the guys and gals using them too, while still maintaining a decent degree of reliability...usually.

You pay a lot for the Colt name, but you almost always get that back at resale. The higher-end 1911s out of Colt's and Springfield's custom shops have become collectable as long as they are shot little and well taken care of. I'd probably give the nod to Colt though on "investment grade" pistols.

Personally, I think it comes down to the features you want, and your opinion of the company on which way is the right way for you to purchase.

I think that the Colt vs. Springfield is a pretty solid comparison.

Latest posts

Top Bottom