1911 Pistols: Colt v Springfield Armory

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
0EF1A7E3-E203-4560-BA84-6EE4567A6A3A.jpeg
These are my only 2 1911’s I’ve had. Les Baer and Springfield TRP (not counting a Staccato 2011 I just got). I loved the TRP!

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All my years as a police officer I carried one pistol right up till the day I retired. I shot it on a weekly basis and requals once a year (Back in the day you had to requal with your pistol from 50 yards. Now days it's from 25 yards) I got the Top Gun award several times with that pistol, it was always accurate and 100% reliable. That pistol like myself is retired now. It has earned the rest and lives out its days in the safe but I know if I need it to protect myself or others it is more than capable of coming out of retirement and doing it all over again. I have another pistol that I carry on a daily basis now when ever I go out, same type of pistol.
The pistol that I'm referring to in my years of being a police officer is a 1911/Wilson Combat CQB.
The pistol I carry today when I go out, a colt 1911, accurate and has been 100% reliable.
So yes there are 1911 Pistols that are 100% Reliable just like Glocks.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those 1911(s) don’t have a 100 years of use and the ones that did get serious use were worn out. An accelerated use test or fielding of both would show that the 1911 won’t hang with a modern polymer gun.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 298603
These are my only 2 1911’s I’ve had. Les Baer and Springfield TRP (not counting a Staccato 2011 I just got). I loved the TRP!

I enjoyed the Springfield Armory Range Officer Operator I had. For what it was. But I enjoy the other 10 or so rounds of ammo that is afforded to me with Modern Double Stacks! It’s the same as my New Balance shoes instead of those PF Flyers we had in our youth! Haaaaaaaa! Still funny to me how every pistol compares itself to ole Gaston’s creation!

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those 1911(s) don’t have a 100 years of use and the ones that did get serious use were worn out. An accelerated use test or fielding of both would show that the 1911 won’t hang with a modern polymer gun.

Oh, right... Because 74 years of the same guns being issued and used by the US military wasn't a good enough "field test".

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of us need to learn how to put up their guns before a tragedy happens.
Mine stays on my person.

Of course an all metal gun can come out rusted rather it’s a 1911, rifle, or shotgun. JMO

Never had a Glock rust but blued guns that acquire acid from your hands and left in a safe sure can

The 1911 was a BUG weapon not the primary weapon as well. It was probably shot more at targets than in battle.

51DDD55B-2058-4A45-8BC7-0A9630453776.jpeg

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haaaaaaaa! Still funny to me how every pistol compares itself to ole Gaston’s creation!

Ummm... You were the first one to mention Glocks, dude. No one else was comparing them to anything. This thread started as a simple post about similar pistols from different makers.

But that's usually the way it goes. Glock fanatics can't seem to take it personally when someone else likes a gun better than a Glock. FFS...sometimes they act like they gave birth to the damn thing.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look...I'm no Glock basher. But I am objective...I also have preferences when it comes to guns just like everyone else.

But let's stop pretending Glocks haven't had at least their share of problems over the years.

Unsupported chambers causing guns to blow up (mostly in .40 pistols).
Glock failed the DEA safety protocols in the early 90s.
NYPD had a s**t-ton of problems with their 26 and 27 models.
The Bernalillo County SO found Glocks breaking. This led to Glock redesigning/reinforcing the rear slide rails.
Some other LE agency found certain Glock pistols repeatedly malfunctioned with weapon lights attached to the front rail.
Early on they "upgraded" their guns...not a recall...just an upgrade. Sure looked like a recall.
There are probably other issues.

In my personal experience I've had issues with firing pins repeatedly breaking on a G19. I also bought an early G21 that wouldn't function in cold weather. That's a real problem for a duty gun carried in the Colorado mountains in the winter.

I'm not saying all makers don't produce a turd now and then or have issues with a particular model. Most do. But to pretend that Glock is the most reliable gun ever is just fantasy. I've had far more issues with Glocks than I have with 1911s. As a matter of fact, for the life of me I don't understand how 1911s have a reputation for not being reliable unless a gunsmith works them over. I've never had any work done (other than sights changed) on any of my 1911s (3 or 4 dozen, at least, I've owned over the years) and they've all been damn near completely reliable. I did have a Kimber I didn't care for...worked fine...the coating on the slide was just too slippery. In my experience almost every failure of a 1911 I've seen has been caused by the operator. YMMV.

Latest posts

Top Bottom