1911 Pistols: Colt v Springfield Armory

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So tell me about the 1000s of LEOs that carried them my friend, I know some. When did your department adopt them. The revolver was the mainstream from every Leo I know. The public wasn’t carrying them.

Are you talking about the caliber or the 1911?

I started carrying a S&W 645 (a semi-auto .45ACP) in the late 80s or early 90s. But "mainstream" doesn't just apply to law enforcement. And I was more shocked that you said the .45ACP caliber was never mainstream when it's been either the number 1 or number 2 selling handgun cartridge for years in this country.

And I continued to carry a .45 of one brand or another thruout my career. Even when I worked for a department that mandated Glock 22 or 23 models be carried on duty I carried a Colt 1911 as an instructor and while performing SWAT duties.

There's a list of departments a mile long that either authorized or issued 1911s...from the FBI HRT to LAPD to dinky little little departments nationwide.

And many makers produce 1911s for civilian carry as well and the sell as many as they can build. That's part of the reason the Commander and Officer sized guns are so popular.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.safehome.org/data/firearms-guns-statistics/
As I said the revolver far out strip the 45 ACP and the 9mm as well as the 22 lr numbers aren’t even close. Have real links with stats?

The 38/357 numbers would be interesting as well

Youve got over 100 years on your side but they aren’t all that into days world..

Last edited:

ChrisWilson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got a Springfield 1911 I’ve had for 25 years or more! I love it was my first 1911, wife got it for my birthday. A very respected gunsmith at the time was a good friend of mine and did some work on it! I’ll never get rid of it! I’ve also got 2 colts, one a basic government model the other a trophy gold cup my wife got me for our 30th anniversary! Love ‘‘em all!!

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes...I realize the guns that were in service were long overdue for replacement. You realize you don't need to be condescending in everything you say, right?

And what "most recent attempts" are you referring to? There have been several. Colt outfitted the Marines with the M45A1 not too many years ago. Some units are still using them.

I was direct with my comment. I wasn’t being condescending, and even suggested a good source that has a reliable method for testing a 1911(s) function. YOU copped an attitude about it.

Ah yes! The Colt M45 had a very short service life before it was replaced by a Glock 19.

https://www.military.com/kitup/2016/10/marsoc-chooses-glock-19s-45s-raiders.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom