1911 Pistols: Colt v Springfield Armory

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ians 17/22

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know what’s happened to me but I used to adore 1911’s. Heck I shot them for years in competition and carried them primarily for a decent span of years. I built many of them and worked on probably hundreds in my brief career.
I can honestly say I have no use for them anymore. A _______ can do the same job and do it with less hassle and less money. The romance is dead
Guess we're all getting older , i still sometimes shoot , the Army permitted me to shoot for 3 yrs....got pretty good too.....was supposed to go to a Camp Perry Shoot , C.O. said NO.......oh well.....
here's one i still have , has a milled trigger , 1911 hammer & A1 arched checkered mainspring housing.....1942

Attachments

• PA260001.JPG
    PA260001.JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PA260002.JPG
    PA260002.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PA260003.JPG
    PA260003.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PA260004.JPG
    PA260004.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PA260005.JPG
    PA260005.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PA260006.JPG
    PA260006.JPG
    277.1 KB · Views: 0

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting comments. Too bad people get so upset because some like Jalapenios on their pizza and some people don't. Me, sitting here with my SS Colt Gold Cup EDC as I do 99% of the time I am dressed wearing jeans but sometimes carry a Sig P238 when wearing slacks or shorts, and reading the comments.

My 1911 fits me, reliable enough and safe enough carrying in condition one for my comfort, and I can shoot it more accurately consistantly than any other pistol I have owned or shot over the years. The Colt grip angle fits me better than the "odd for me" angle on a Glock. Yes, double stacks might could be an advantage someday, so just taking a chance that if I can not take care of what ever situation I am in with 8 rounds more accurate than I can shoot 24 rounds or what ever with a Glock, guess I am done. So be it.

To me there is not "one" firearm that is better for everyone all the time. My opinion is that each one of us can, and in many cases should offer our opinions, especially for newbies, and to some who have not experienced shooting many different firearms to read of our opinions or reasons why each particular firearm does or does not work for us vs others. That certainly should not be a reason to get on the edge of getting nasty about our opinions to others.

Bashing with this Colt vs Glock item is no different than the Ford VS Chevrolet VS Dodge discussions elsewhere or even at the stoplights back in the days when there was a difference. Back then we could line up and prove the 327s and 427s were better in general on the street until you got up to the 426 hemi's, and then add in a 500ci Kieth Black nitro motor and there was no question who was the king.

Bottom line, find what you are most accurate with and fits for you and your lifestyle for an EDC and go with it. JMO

PS, Apology to the OP, like others, I got off topic. My preference is the original Colt. Only shot a couple Springfields and did not detect anything to be an advantage for me in feel or function that would make me more accurate, like the Ruger SS 1911 I own, I can not find an advantage there either. I will stick with the original Colt for EDC.

Last edited:

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting comments. Too bad people get so upset because some like Jalapenios on their pizza and some people don't. Me, sitting here with my SS Colt Gold Cup EDC as I do 99% of the time I am dressed wearing jeans but sometimes carry a Sig P238 when wearing slacks or shorts, and reading the comments.

My 1911 fits me, reliable enough and safe enough carrying in condition one for my comfort, and I can shoot it more accurately consistantly than any other pistol I have owned or shot over the years. The Colt grip angle fits me better than the "odd for me" angle on a Glock. Yes, double stacks might could be an advantage someday, so just taking a chance that if I can not take care of what ever situation I am in with 8 rounds more accurate than I can shoot 24 rounds or what ever with a Glock, guess I am done. So be it.

To me there is not "one" firearm that is better for everyone all the time. My opinion is that each one of us can, and in many cases should offer our opinions, especially for newbies, and to some who have not experienced shooting many different firearms to read of our opinions or reasons why each particular firearm does or does not work for us vs others. That certainly should not be a reason to get on the edge of getting nasty about our opinions to others.

Bashing with this Colt vs Glock item is no different than the Ford VS Chevrolet VS Dodge discussions elsewhere or even at the stoplights back in the days when there was a difference. Back then we could line up and prove the 327s and 427s were better in general on the street until you got up to the 426 hemi's, and then add in a 500ci Kieth Black nitro motor and there was no question who was the king.

Bottom line, find what you are most accurate with and fits for you and your lifestyle for an EDC and go with it. JMO

PS, Apology to the OP, like others, I got off topic. My preference is the original Colt. Only shot a couple Springfields and did not detect anything to be an advantage for me in feel or function that would make me more accurate, like the Ruger SS 1911 I own, I can not find an advantage there either. I will stick with the original Colt for EDC.
Very good read sounds like the days I lived in. Drag racing, Super Cars and all. I too am a lifetime owner of 1911's and has been my EDC for over 70 years. I have a (few) collectables though are most shooters. My Latest and first time buy is a Ruger LW Commander. I have two Colt LW Commanders and this fits in as accurate and well built as they are. As Colts are up there in price now I wouldn't hesitate should I want another 1911 It would be another Ruger. However at my age and having arthurites my EDC has transformed into a Glock 43X for lightness with ten rounds+1 and two spares mags. I of course miss my 230 gr JHP's. Though I always double tap so no worrys on my part. Again thanks for a great read!

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Features: Both guns feature the "Series 70" style of operation

Not sure if you're talking about the Colt in the OP or just in general. The one I posted about is definitely not a Series 80. But I'm with you...I prefer the original operating system without the internal safeties...on any 1911.

Latest posts

Top Bottom