1911 Purchase decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok with all the crap going on with Springfield Armory I sold my TRP Operator. Now comes the hard part. I'm torn with what to replace it with. I want the Colt Special Combat in hard chrome but I'm not a Colt stocking dealer so that presents problems. Also would not mind the Colt rail gun same issue. Looking at the Dan Wesson Silver back or Pointman 45's. I would love a Nighthawk or Les Baer but my budget is about 1800.00 max at wholesale. Anyone have any other suggestions not Springfield and not non forged frames.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you can get into a like new baer for that kinda money. thats what Id do. and I wouldnt sweat non forged frames.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Baer's sell for around $1500 on gunbroker depending on the model. When I was looking, I went back and forth between Baer and Wilson. I picked up a Baer Custom Carry and I'm very happy.

If you decide on a Dan Wesson, I recommend the Valor.

Last edited:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I paid a lot less than that for a Ruger SR 1911 Lightweight Commander and couldn't be happier. It was right at $700. Series 70 design, excellent fit and finish, more accurate than I can be. Has a much better trigger out of the box than the Colt LW Commander I sold...because the Ruger was so much better. Now, having said that, I do believe a Les Baer is within your budget, and they sure are fine pistols. Me; I chose to spend the money on the Ruger and the rest went towards ammo. I'll get blasted maybe because the Ruger is a budget priced 1911, but I've owned and shot a bunch, and this gun is the equal of many at twice the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I will agree with druryj! Where I would like to own a Baer, I cannot see spending the funds to do that. The Ruger SR 1911 Lightweight and ammo will full fill everything I need to do with a 1911.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just can't bring myself to own a lost wax cast 1911. Sort of like I refuse to own an exterior extractor 1911 just not sure JMB would approve. Sort of leaning towards the Colt Combat Unit also after looking at it. The TRP Operator I sold was sort of a niche firearm in my stable and want to replace with similar platform. I love my series 70 Gold cup and my XSE lightweight commander but the TRP was that semi bad ass range gun and need to find something that fills that bill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom