1911 Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know we have more than a few 1911 enthusiast on here. I'm looking to purchase a 1911 as my next gun. Ammo is expensive and I like to shoot a lot. I know it's sacrilege for some, but thinking of going with a 9mm version. I'd prefer to build one, or purchase something cheep and build it up. So the question is how interchangeable are the parts. Obviously the barrel and magazine are going to be different. What else can I expect to be compatible or specific to a 9mm. Thanks in advance for your help.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I know we have more than a few 1911 enthusiast on here. I'm looking to purchase a 1911 as my next gun. Ammo is expensive and I like to shoot a lot. I know it's sacrilege for some, but thinking of going with a 9mm version. I'd prefer to build one, or purchase something cheep and build it up. So the question is how interchangeable are the parts. Obviously the barrel and magazine are going to be different. What else can I expect to be compatible or specific to a 9mm. Thanks in advance for your help.
45 is about $.10-$.15 more per round than 9mm. It's sitting, for brass, at $.47+ per rd for 45 and $.35+ per rd for 9 which is about $24ish dollars for a 50 rd box of 45 vs a $18ish dollars a 50 rd box of 9mm.

Those price differences would not be a determining factor for choosing 9mm over 45 for me. I'd have to look at other reasons to go 9mm. I would take a 9mm 1911 though...there are some really good ones out there.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll need a different barrel, slide, magazine, ejector and other bits and pieces. By the time you gather all this you could have just bought 2 rock islands complete.

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll need a different barrel, slide, magazine, ejector and other bits and pieces. By the time you gather all this you could have just bought 2 rock islands complete.
I'm sure you are not far off with that. However, for me it won't make any difference. If I buy a Rock Island or a Wilson Combat. Sooner or later I'm going to take it apart and start changing stuff. Might as well just build one to start with.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please don't take this as condescending, I am only asking because I don't know your background on modifying weapons.

Have you worked on a 1911 before? Very few parts are drop in, including magazines occasionally haha. Grip panels, recoil and mainsprings, and recoil spring plug are the only things I can think of that are guaranteed to not require handfitting. Other parts MAY not require it, but it isn't guaranteed.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please don't take this as condescending, I am only asking because I don't know your background on modifying weapons.

Have you worked on a 1911 before? Very few parts are drop in, including magazines occasionally haha. Grip panels, recoil and mainsprings, and recoil spring plug are the only things I can think of that are guaranteed to not require handfitting. Other parts MAY not require it, but it isn't guaranteed.
Yeah what he said. You’ll wind up building a turd that got rolled around a dirty barbershop floor

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy a RI first, then change parts as you want. I have a RI in 9mm I like even though I have not gotten to fire it yet. Running thru drill it feels right if you know what I mean. First thing I would recommend, buy some Mecgar 9mm mags for it. Mine seems to really like them.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the cost of changing slide and parts for 45/9mm out of the same lower. Just buy the 9mm and be done with it or get two low cost gun in the 45 and 9 mm. RIA is a good choice for budget and by the time you did all the changes to adapt, it's about the same and it voids the warranty of the gun as well as put's a liability on you for making those changes is anyone is hurt by the gun.
This is just my opinion only and not of any significance

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy a RI first, then change parts as you want. I have a RI in 9mm I like even though I have not gotten to fire it yet. Running thru drill it feels right if you know what I mean. First thing I would recommend, buy some Mecgar 9mm mags for it. Mine seems to really like them.
You’re recommending mags for a gun you’ve never shot because they seem to like it?
Cmon Rick.

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah what he said. You’ll wind up building a turd that got rolled around a dirty barbershop floor
I don't own a single weapon I can't dissemble down to the last pin and reassemble correctly. Having said that I am only starting to look into 1911s. Exactly why I am asking questions first. Is a mil spec 1911 a mil spec 1911, or are they all slightly different. Will a beavertail off a Wilson 45 fit a Rock Island 9mm version? I don't know that's why I am asking here first.