1911 Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You’re recommending mags for a gun you’ve never shot because they seem to like it?
Cmon Rick.
Hand cycling all types of rounds thru mine. The Mecgar feeds everything. The mags that came with it, will not reliably feed anything including round nose. Plus I have used Mecgar for years in many different guns and NEVER had a problem related to the mag. I would, and am betting my life on them.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hand cycling all types of rounds thru mine. The Mecgar feeds everything. The mags that came with it, will not reliably feed anything including round nose. Plus I have used Mecgar for years in many different guns and NEVER had a problem related to the mag. I would, and am betting my life on them.
Ok man. I’ll come by and bring you some crossword puzzle books. Or are you a sudoku guy?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No such thing as a mil spec beaver tail cause the military never used one.
Every brand is different there are some called drop in but they are ugly.

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No such thing as a mil spec beaver tail cause the military never used one.
Every brand is different there are some called drop in but they are ugly.
Now we are getting some where. So if I buy a RI, or Springfield or whatever. I have to make sure whatever parts I purchase specifically say they are for that model?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok man. I’ll come by and bring you some crossword puzzle books. Or are you a sudoku guy?
Just get everything to stop going nuts and pay for a little range time would be better. Had planned on doing some shooting at the last ENS but got to feeling bad.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now we are getting some where. So if I buy a RI, or Springfield or whatever. I have to make sure whatever parts I purchase specifically say they are for that model?
No. For the most part, 1911 parts are 1911 parts, they are not manufacturer specific. But regardless of whose parts you buy, they will almost always require that they be fitted to your specific pistol. A barrel, for example, might drop right in. But it may need a different link, either shorter or longer. The lugs may need to be fitted to your slide. Thumb safeties have to be fitted. Extractors need to be tuned. Barrel bushings need to be fitted. The list goes on.

Detail stripping and reassembly is one thing, even a 1911 is not hard to detail strip and put back together. Building a 1911, or even changing most of the parts takes the correct knowledge, and in some cases the proper tools.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure you are not far off with that. However, for me it won't make any difference. If I buy a Rock Island or a Wilson Combat. Sooner or later I'm going to take it apart and start changing stuff. Might as well just build one to start with.
Why in the world would you buy a Wilson or any semi custom 1911 and start changing parts?!? Folks buy those guns because the parts are properly hand fit from the start.

My recommendation is to buy the cheapest 1911 you can find if you’re going to bubba-smith on it.