1911 Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to learn the system get a cheapo like mine , ATI commander . I have taken it apart a bunch and reassembled it until I can do it without cheating(looking at a manual or video) Gun started out as a $325 pistol and now it is not ... Love the thing, it shoots well looks good and I now it well.
Mine is a 45 and when I get around to it I will find a 9mm as well

20161217_195050180_iOS.jpg
New.
20210827_194706 (2).jpg
Now.
Not fancy but I know it. Oh and yes I carry it , do not have to worry about beating it up !!

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've become so focused on America I try not to buy anything not made here. And Rock Islands are made in Indonesia. But they do make good 1911s. Theirs a chance you fit all the small pieces into a 1911 without messing with them. And the gun may or may not work reliably. But even if it works it will not perform to the level of a good 1911. And you'll be missing the true reason folks like them.
Here's an idea not yet mentioned. Rather than buying a complete pistol and replacing parts. Check out 1911 frame and slice.sets. I've built lots of them and one of the easiest companies to work with is Caspian Arms. They will sell you a slide and frame set that is already fitted together and it can have all of the machining for your favorite sight type done as well as any checkering or serrations and beavertail cuts you want. With this set how can buy all the small parts you want and not waste anything. And. There step by step assembly videos all over Youtube.
Oh. And there are three types of beavertail. And just assume they don't interchange. Neither of the two custom styles will just fit a military spec frame with a military standard beavertail. And the two custom beavertails will not directly interchange. Oh but there's more. You can buy a cutting big that assists you to modify your frame from one standard to the other.

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to learn the system get a cheapo like mine , ATI commander . I have taken it apart a bunch and reassembled it until I can do it without cheating(looking at a manual or video) Gun started out as a $325 pistol and now it is not ... Love the thing, it shoots well looks good and I now it well.
Mine is a 45 and when I get around to it I will find a 9mm as well

View attachment 220200New.
View attachment 220210Now.
Not fancy but I know it. Oh and yes I carry it , do not have to worry about beating it up !!
I like it, what did you do to the finish?

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've become so focused on America I try not to buy anything not made here. And Rock Islands are made in Indonesia. But they do make good 1911s. Theirs a chance you fit all the small pieces into a 1911 without messing with them. And the gun may or may not work reliably. But even if it works it will not perform to the level of a good 1911. And you'll be missing the true reason folks like them.
Here's an idea not yet mentioned. Rather than buying a complete pistol and replacing parts. Check out 1911 frame and slice.sets. I've built lots of them and one of the easiest companies to work with is Caspian Arms. They will sell you a slide and frame set that is already fitted together and it can have all of the machining for your favorite sight type done as well as any checkering or serrations and beavertail cuts you want. With this set how can buy all the small parts you want and not waste anything. And. There step by step assembly videos all over Youtube.
Oh. And there are three types of beavertail. And just assume they don't interchange. Neither of the two custom styles will just fit a military spec frame with a military standard beavertail. And the two custom beavertails will not directly interchange. Oh but there's more. You can buy a cutting big that assists you to modify your frame from one standard to the other.
Thanks, this is the kind of info I am looking for.

Hworth18

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both of my 1911's are 9mm, I really enjoy shooting both of them and one is my EDC. I went with 9mm because that is what the majority of my handguns are and I'd rather not have to worry about messing different calibers of ammo. I tried a bunch of different 1911 manu's before I settled on Springfield Armory's Elite and EMP. Rock Island Armory is another manufacturer I would look at if I were in the market for a mid range 1911.
On a side note, I am selling my 1911 Range Officer Elite Champion because I bought it for EDC and the EMP just worked better for me. It's a great 1911 in 9mm with everything you need (except holster) right out of the box.
236877677_10218449655626453_4135745603790543144_n.jpg

Last edited:

Hworth18

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1911’s are heavy lo cap boat anchors. Fun to shoot, but for serious everyday carry, the micro 9’s like my g43x kills the 1911

Matter of opinion.. I went from a compact Sig P320 to my 1911 EMP and I really prefer the 1911. It has better range and has a slimmer body which makes it better for conceal carry. The only con is that I have to carry an extra mag for 21 rounds total. Any extra weight in 9mm is negligible.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy a RI first, then change parts as you want. I have a RI in 9mm I like even though I have not gotten to fire it yet. Running thru drill it feels right if you know what I mean. First thing I would recommend, buy some Mecgar 9mm mags for it. Mine seems to really like them.
Good advice rick. That's what I would do.